Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Powell Beach Experience - Alex's Version (Updated)

Since Alex is the head of our family and since he celebrated his 31st birthday at the beach, I thought he should get to go first. Alex was pretty disappointed that it was rainy our first morning there.
However, he did not allow that to deter him from enjoying the rough serene waters of the gulf. It was cool and rainy on the beach and right after he jumped in a lifeguard came running over. At first I thought that he thought Alex was drowning. The lifeguard asked if Alex was with me and said that there was a bad lightening storm around. That was all it took and Alex got out of the water. The cold he can take, electrocution, not so much.

Fortunately, the weather cleared up and Alex was able to get his beach needs met.
There was a lot of holding Melody (who apparently thought she was Princess of the Beach) until she was comfortable enough to bear touching the sand.

A lot of sea shell hunting



A lot of playing in the surf with Jack. And let's not forget the abundance of Vacations (my family's terminology for a gin & tonic; because drinking one is like having one!)

And since Alex is not a cake person, he celebrated his birthday with his favorite dessert...

Oreo's


He thought this pose was funny


Alex's buddy Shane happened to be playing all weekend at a bar about a mile from our condo. We went down to see him both Saturday and Sunday night and got a chance to hang out with old friends as well. Check out the cool beer holders on their mics!

The verdict; Alex had a great vacation!
I forgot to mention the one unpleasant beach experience Alex had; his sunburn. I'm not going to post pictures, as I'm pretty sure that would not go over well with Alex, however, suffice it to say the sunburn was bad. Saturday afternoon we had some clearing and Alex and Jack immediately hightailed it down to the beach. Alex had assumed that the break in the clouds would be short lived and applied only minimal sunscreen. (I applied full sunscreen on Jack.) Three hours later Alex's chest was still a nice pasty white color while his back was flaming red. Yep, not just red, flaming red. It's actually still red. The moral of the story is apply full suncreen unless you know you will be coming back inside soon.

10 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That Oreo picture is hilarious.

PS Matt got a cookie, too!

Kelli W said...

Happy Birthday Alex! Oreos are SUPER yummy! I love that Melody thought she was Princess of the Beach!

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

Hey, Happy Birthday......looks like a great way to spend a birthday. And oreos work for me!

Momisodes said...

LOL at the Oreo shot! I love it. Looks like it was a wonderful birthday vacation.

Erin said...

Ha Ha great pictures! cant wait to see how everyone else experience went!

Jen said...

Looks like he had a great vacation.

Bren said...

Looks like you all had a fabulous time - especially the birthday boy!

Pam said...

I told you the Sun was bad news. It's an evil, evil planet. Alex got all burned up. See why I don't like it?

Oh, sorry. Let me hop back down off my anti-sun soapbox.

Happy Belated Birthday, Alex!

Dee said...

Aww! Ya'll look so cute!

heidi said...

I dont' like cake, either, but I could DIE for a pack of oreos. Happy Birthday to your hubby with the awesome Guns!