Tuesday, May 5, 2009

the haircut

Lately, I have been bemoaning the fact that Jack is growing up so fast; he's almost 5 and will be in kindergarten this fall! Don't get me wrong, I'm excited that he's growing up and learning so many new things, but every now and then, just a little bit, I miss the baby that he once was.

Alex, on the other hand, is thrilled he's growing up. In fact, the older our children get, the happier Alex seems to get.

It seems that this is a common occurrence; the mommies miss their babies and the daddies are thrilled their babies are growing up.

Alex has been trying his best to talk me into getting Jack's hair cut short lately. You know, really short. Buzz short. He seems to think I keep his hair too long. I think it's a sweet little boy cut. "He's a man, not a baby, " is Alex's response to that. You can be the judge (but I'm pretty sure you'll agree with me).
Today I relented and let him cut his hair. Well, Alex didn't actually cut it himself; we too him to Big League Barbers where he usually goes. I didn't let Alex get him the army buzz, but it's pretty short. (Sorry the pictures are poor quality...I took them with my phone).
Of course, as his mother, I'm biased, but I think he looks handsome no matter what. And a shorter cut will certainly be more cooler in the summer. And it will be nice not to have to comb it to the side every morning, only to have his stick-straight bodiless fine hair fall right back across his forehead in a matter of seconds. Or less.
What a handsome
, almost 5 year old!!

And I'm also thinking that his shorter hair will give the illusion that Melody's hair is longer.
No?

14 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I definitely think he looks more like a big boy. And, of course, Melody's hair now looks longer.

Kelli W said...

He looks so cute with his new haircut! My hubby mentioned buzzing the boys hair, but I just couldn't do it! {Though Henry's hair is probably only as long as Jack's new haircut.} I love how Melody's hair looks 'longer' now that Jack's is shorter!! Too funny!!

Twisted Cinderella said...

He is definitely a handsome little man!

Tracey said...

Very cute new haircut!! Love your little girl's hair, too - both of my girls were "hair-challenged" for a long time!!

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

Yes, good point.......makes her hair look longer!
The haircut is nice.......he looks great!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE his new hair cut! I am a fan of "high and tight" as I call it... Chip finally just buzzed his hair again (LOVE IT!) and I did Trey's hair the same way last week... Jack looks super- and yes he does look more like a big boy now!
Luann

Bren said...

So handsome! And trust me - as a mom with a daughter who has A LOT of hair - I wish her's had stayed shorter longer! It looks so cute with the bow!!!!!

heidi said...

He looks fantastic!!! It's amazing how haircuts just age them, isn't it?

Cara was like Melody and never had any hair until she was nearly 3. Now it's all sorts of thick and full.

Lisa said...

He does look big...

Look at that long piece of hair on her head!!! You should put 2 bows in it.

Missed you at MC today.

Sneaky Momma said...

His hair looks good short, too. :) Precious!

Cara Fox said...

So cute! I remember each of my boys first "big boy" haircuts, which Aaron also pushed before I was ready. In fact, with Drew, he waited until I was out of the country attending my childhood best friend's wedding before he gave Drew a buzz cut HIMSELF. Drew flipped out in the middle, so it was all uneven and he looked kind of a like a Lost Boy. Aaron took the boys to a birthday party while I was gone and all my friends enjoyed taking bets on whether I was going to cry or murder Aaron on the spot when I got off the plane and saw Drew. It was the former, but don't think the latter didn't cross my mind.

Needless to say, no out of town trips planned until Josh is old enough to fend off his father's haircuts...

Pam said...

Awww, it's cute. And Melody's hair will definitely appear longer when she stands next to Jack!

steph said...

AAAAWWW, he is so cute but he does look like a 5 year old Kindergarten boy, which is good but I miss my "Ack Pow Pow"!
Melody's hair is longer, right ?! She's wearing a very cute dress in that pic.

Miti said...

So cute! I just took my little guy to get his hair cut today.