Tuesday, August 4, 2009

True Story Tuesday - not Kroger too!

Remember this experience I had last week when I went to get some help for the girls?

Apparently it was bad customer service week or something!

The next day I went to Kroger for my weekly grocery shopping. Jack was at camp, but I had Charlie (sweetly seated in the front of the cart) and Melody (sitting in the back where she unfortunately had easy access to the shelves!).

It should be noted that I loathe despise hate dislike going to the grocery store. As a result I put if off for as long as possible. Since I hadn't been in two weeks and we had been out of milk for over 24 hours I simply had to go.

We had an uneventful shopping experience until we got to the check out. It seemed that there was only one lane opened. So I got behind this woman who I'm pretty sure was buying her groceries with pennies. As I was waiting (and waiting and waiting) I noticed a lot of action a few lanes over. Apparently that lane was open and the cashier had simply forgotten to turn on his light. Ok, I was pretty irritated over that but whatever it was finally my turn so I just moved on. The cashier started ringing up my groceries and I look over at the girl bagging them and realize that she's putting the bagged groceries in the cart with the two children.

Do you remember how I just said I hadn't gone to the store in two weeks? Yeah, believe me, it was quite a balancing act getting all those groceries around two small children. Poor Melody was pretty much buried with groceries. Ain't no way all those bags are going to fit in that cart!

So I say, "Um, they're not all going to fit in that cart. You're going to have to get another one." Duh! *head smack!*

I finish paying and bagging girl looks at me and (completely seriously) says, "Do you want help out?"

Um, no, that's Ok, I'll just grab my handy-dandy extra set of arms here and take both carts out. By myself. In the rain.

Duh! *head smack again!*

And that experience was the end of a long line of poor customer service I've recently experienced at Kroger.

I shop at Publix now.


21 comments:

lsnellings said...

I shop at Publix too. They don't ask, they just take your cart and start walking to the parking lot!

Jessica said...

People just amaze me sometimes with how little they actually think! I wish we had a Publix where I live!

Kameron said...

What is wrong with people?? The lack of common sense simply amazes me!! I hate grocery shopping too, so I feel your pain. Although right now I only have to do it with one child...unless you count my hubby (and I do) as the 2nd one!

Summer said...

Un-bee-lievable.....ugh....

Carrie said...

I shop at a local grocery here or at Walmart {ugh!} but usually have pretty good service. Now, going to walmart on a Sunday afternoon is another story! Some people, especially the young kids, just don't get it sometimes...they are probably more worried about when their next break is!

He & Me + 3 said...

Funny how some places seem to forget to teach their employees customer service. I just want to smack them too. I see why you now shop at publix.

Jennie said...

Sometimes I think it's a generational issue, too, 'cause most of the bad service I get at grocery stores/Walmart/etc, are from the 16, 17 year olds. Luckily, Hubby loves me enough to basically do all the grocery shopping ;)

Foursons said...

I often have to leave with 2 carts too. I can manage to pile it all into 1 cart, but once it's bagged, 2 carts are needed. And I'm asked EVERY TIME- "Do you need help out?" I always look at them and say, "Ummm...yeah, I have 2 carts."

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Crazy, sounds like one of our shopping trips. One in front, one in back, too many groceries because I put it off too... Luckily we have some very friendly checkers that love the kids...

Erin said...

We only have one grocery store around here that would bag your groceries for you and help you out that door or you can drive up. This grocery store is only located in rich cities though. Other wise any of the other 4 or 5 grocery stores or wal mart or target they wont bag your stuff of help you out!

Your lucky to have that so close to your house!

I wish the nicer grocery store was close and I could just drive up and have someone load them into my car. It is really nice in the winter!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I start off telling them I need two carts, and I put all of my "smashables" (bread, fruit, chips...) on the conveyer belt last to thwart the bagboy who does not believe in the laws of physics and will otherwise set a gallon of milk on top of my loaf of bread.

woman who roars said...

Hi
The big question is, did Kroger call with a gift cert for you??
S

Eve said...

I stick to Safeway whenever possible. They aren't always great there either, but I tend to have an overall better experience... usually. I really dislike grocery shopping though.

Rachel said...

Totally not sure what Publix is - must not be a Northwest thing???

And it drives me nuts when they ask obvious things - so sorry it turned into such an "adventure"!

I'm actually a little more bugged by the lovely inattention of other shoppers. Can't tell you how many times I've had to actually push someone away from the debit machine with my butt, LOL.

Thanks for linking up - have a great Tuesday!

Unknown said...

As a teen I worked as a bagger at Dillon's and we were required to say "I'll get that for you", or "Let me..." never supposed to ask. sorry for that "fun" experience you could have done without!

Marty said...

I feel your pain sister...I have moved my shopping to the weekend as much as possible (as much as I hate that option too). Publix pulls me in more than Kroger because of their customer service even though Kroger is overall cheaper...I wish we could have everything delivered and put away for us!! :)

Kelli W said...

I hate to grocery shop too...especially with three kids in tow! We usually hit walmart or target for grocery, and I don't expect much from customer service there! I'm not as disappointed if I go in with low expectations!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Don't ya just love grocery store baggers! Sometimes they have the best attitudes ever!

Anonymous said...

I too hate grocery shopping! They always make me a bag full of anxiety when I have to go, thankfully I never have to deal with a bagger because I shop where I have to bag my own groceries. Then again maybe that's part of my anxiety! ;)

easy edges studio said...

i ALWAYS shop at Publix....and that is exactly why!!!

Heidi Boos said...

I'm right there with you on loathing, despising, and outright hating grocery shopping! My husband has been sending me subliminal messages lately to get me to go, but I'm pretending I don't hear them. Hey, we still have milk, all right!?

Bummer you had such a bad experience...good thing there's another option. We don't have a Kroger's or Publix. Obviously, we live on different sides of the U.S.!