Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Alex, by himself, plus 6



It's time for True Story Tuesday again over at Once Upon A Miracle!

This week's TST comes from Alex's perspective. Alex babysat six children on Friday so that Lauren and I could go out on the town! Here's his take on the evening...

The girls left to go out around 7. They looked awesome. You know, I just love it when Emily hangs out with Lauren. Especially when they go shopping together. I'm so glad that my wife has someone to share her love of shopping with. (OK, I added all that but I'm sure Alex thinks that, right?!)

About 7:20 I hear crying upstairs. I hope it's one of my kids. It's not. I go into Charlie's room and there's EJ crying up at me. Great. What do I do for this kid? So, I lay her back down and pat her back. She's still crying. I pat some more. I leave the room and hope she falls back asleep.

She doesn't.

I go back in the room. She's staring at the door and crying. Pat, pat, pat. Still crying. I go downstairs and call Emily praying she answers her phone. Thankfully she does and they are just down the street at Webb (you know, my brofriend) and Lindsey's house.

I talk to Lauren and (since I don't want to seem incompetent...after all, I have three children myself!) I tell her I'll give it a few more minutes and call if she doesn't stop crying.

She doesn't.

I call back. They decide to swing back home.

Then I hear a strange sound. It sounds like a baby crying but it's not Charlie over the monitor. Is it EJ, I wonder? I go back upstairs and into the room. EJ's actually being quiet, but I still hear that crying. I walk over to the crib and holy s*#^ there's another baby in there!! What the?... Oh, yeah, Lauren did have another baby a few months ago!

Hm, two crying children, neither of whom are my offspring. Girls on their way back home. I decide it's not my problem any more and go back downstairs to finish my beer. After all, Shark Week is on!

And that's a true story by Alex!

21 comments:

Kelli said...

LOL. That is a funny story. It is hard to figure out the need of other people's children. Good thing he had his beer to calm the nerves!

lsnellings said...

Your husband is so funny! And btw,Brad is really glad that I have someone to share my love of shopping with too!

Brandi said...

Well, he's brave for at least giving it a go! My hubby would NEVER agree to watch 6 kids! Heck, he won't agree to watch our 3 by himself. ;)

Alex Powell said...

I didn't writer a word of this. My biographer did it for me.

Kelli W said...

Too funny...shark week is on! LOL! I have to say though I am impressed that he stayed with all 6kids by himself! I don't know if I could talk Jason into that or not!

He & Me + 3 said...

What a hoot. I am just surprised that you got him to agree to stay with all 6 kids. wow
Love his comment too. Funny.

Alex Powell said...

And for the record I did more than just pat EJ on the back. I tried talking and singing to her too. She would have none of it.

Little John was easy though. Just gave him the passy and rocked him for about 30 seconds.

Piece of cake.

Jennie said...

Give him kuddos for trying ;)

Kmama said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

What a hilarious True Story for today. My hubby would have never agreed to something like that.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Hey, he gave it a try!! (And, saved himself some money call you home. Hmm... maybe that was the real motivation, huh? Or, is that just something MY husband would do?)

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Funny how Alex came back and left 2 comments! Too much!

And, I recall somebody once telling me that she would let a monkey watch her kids...right?

Kmama said...

I'm back because I was given a One Lovely Blog award and I'd like to pass it on to you. Stop by my blog (http://thedailydribbles.blogspot.com) to pick it up.

Foursons said...

LOL. This is funny and I'm sure every man who has watched someone else's children have felt exactly that way!

Erin said...

Ha ha ha ha oh my goodness I love that story! I love shark week and I am sure he was glad they where just going down for bed time!

Hope you had a great night out!

The Dufour Family said...

I love it. That's so Alex.

Eve said...

And he actually confesses to this? Haha! ;)

Rachel said...

I was thinking the same thing... he confessed to this?!? Impressed!

I have to say - I know it can be really tough trying to figure out someone else's kids - so kudos for the effort!

And just so ya know... be careful about allowing your husband access to your blog... I should know, LOL

Carrie said...

Oh no! In his defense...I find it hard to console other children sometimes! But so funny! Dan used to do that with our own! I don't know how I'm supposed to help him when I'm not there! I commend him for even trying to watch 6 kids on his own! Funny story!

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

Love, love, love it!.......Too funny......laughing too hard!....

Heidi Boos said...

I can't stop laughing!!! This is freakin' hilarious.

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh, what a hysterical story!!