Tuesday, August 18, 2009

True Story Tuesday - pushing carts



For those of you who don't know, I dislike Target. I know, I know. Many of you are gasping in shock and re-reading that sentence because, certainly I didn't mean it!

Sorry, it's true. Shopping at Target is just impulse buying at it's worst. You can't come out of Target without spending $100. Plus there's no running in for something really quick. No, Target is always a process.

I try to go as little as possible, but sometimes a trip there is unavoidable.

For some reason, I made the mistake of making my first outing with three small children a Target outing.

There is a Target right by our house, but for some reason I decided to go to this other Target still relatively close but a little farther away. This Target is recently redone and pretty nice. It does have a Starbucks in it which makes it slightly better. However since there are no cup holders in the carts, walking around, monitoring three children and pushing a cart while holding a Starbucks really isn't possible for someone with a mere two arms. Seriously, think outside the box people.

Anyway, we go into Target, get the 3 things on our list as well as about 10 other items since Target is designed to increase impulse buying exponentially. We check out and get ready to walk out the door when I notice it's raining.

Fan-freakin'-tastic.

Three children, one who is an infant only a few weeks old, and several bags of stuff.

I decide to make a run for it. Melody and Charlie are both in the cart and I grab Jack's hand and tell him to walk very fast with me. We make it to the car, I grab Charlie's carrier, snap him in, throw the bags in as Jack climbs in and then grab Melody. As I place her in the car, her foot slips and she falls out on her head. Yes, you read that right, smack on her head. I pick her up and jump in the car with her (as it's now raining harder and I'm pretty wet and cold) and shut the door. (She was alright and just a little scared.)

Now is probably a good time to mention that for some reason Target's parking lot is on a hill. Seriously, what kind of building planner thought that was a good idea. Um, yeah, let's built a store where 90% of the people use carts to shop and put the parking lot on a hill. And not a slight hill either, it's pretty steep!

So, after I closed the door, I'm pretty sure my cart rolled away. I have no idea where it went and since my baby had fallen flat on her face I really couldn't care less.

However I'm assuming it bumped another car.

I'm assuming this because a few seconds later some punk 20 something kid with an earring came up and tapped on my window to inform me that he saw me "pushing carts in the parking lot".

I informed him that I pushed nothing and that my baby had fallen on her face and I didn't give a rats A55 where my cart went after that. And for that matter, if they didn't expect carts to roll around they shouldn't have built the Target on a freakin' hill!

He then informs me he's going to call the police and report me.

Um, obviously he's never dealt with a wet, cold, sleep-deprived, lactating, still-fat-from-baby-weight-and-not-happy-about-it mom before.

I opened the door and told him that would be wonderful and when they get here they could go ahead and arrest him for harassing me. And that if he continued to harass me while I waited for them to arrest him that would be OK because I had enough adrenaline and hormone surging through my body to flatten his A55 right then and there.

He got the message and just turned and scurried out of there.

So there you go, my first outing by myself as a mommy of three and I get busted for pushing carts.

Check out more true stories at Once Upon a Miracle.

22 comments:

Kelli said...

I did have to read the first sentence again...lol. I love Target (can we still be friends) but when I was there yesterday I realized that they don't have great deals like before and they aren't the cheapest place for certain things like they used to be. I had to laugh at the interaction between you and the punk kid...he probably didn't know what hit him! I'm glad Melody was OK and that for sure would make me NOT ever want to go back to another Target.

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

Totally know what you mean about Target.......I just went in yesterday to 'LOOK' and spent almost $40......
Just couldn't pass up the Tonka shirt for the truck-loving monkey I have!....among the other things...
One reason why I only go when necessary......

Sorry you had to go through that....good thing he was able to take a hint! Don't mess with a mama...

Brandi said...

No you can't go in there unless you just have money to burn. I tried taking all three of mine out once. I even tried it a second time. . . I am smarter now and avoid it at ALL costs. :)

SouthernDogwoods said...

Priceless! I am heading out this morning to Target and will probably spend more money than I intend to!

lsnellings said...

I don't recall him having an earring but nice touch! That guy is lucky you didn't drop kick his
A55 down the hill!

Carrie said...

oh, you are funny! I agree...Target is dangerous! I've had to stop going...although, if I haven't been in awhile, it's worse! They have a Starbucks in our Target, too, but have cupholders for the carts...they really want to keep you there for as long as possible to spend all of your kids' college funds! I need to shop with you...no messing around! :)

Kelli W said...

Too funny! My first few outings with all three kids in tow where pretty rough too! I don't know how you hate Target....I love Target! But I am pretty good at controlling my urge to buy and I would really rather just browse at Target and drool over all the SUPER cute stuff! I love the dollar section...it helps me control my overspending!

Erin said...

Ok i love target but it hate it. It is so true that you can't go in there without spending a small fortune and it kills me! But your story made me crack up and I am still laughing. I wish I could have been there to see it live and in person.

You should come to MN so we can hang out!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I think it might be even funnier typed out. So glad you didn't open up a can of whoop-a55!

Summer said...

Ok...I am CRACKING UP right now....I'm crying I'm laughing so hard....LOL!

Wish I could have seen the look on the punks face! haha....

Twisted Cinderella said...

I can't believe he harassed you for pushing carts!!! That's crazy.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Have you left the house since then?? I am with you on the cup holders!!! AMEN, sister!!!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

(I think this post goes well with my husband's-- Men, don't mess with a Mama. EVER. It really is that simple.)

Pam said...

Oh my gosh...I can't help but laugh at the sight this must have been but as a mom and now a grandmom I can so relate to this. But I can honestly say, you showed that punk! Go girl....here's a high five to all Mom's out there that have been there and done that! I for one had my son fall out of a buggie at the store I hate most (Walmart) on his head! I understand.
Pam

Angie said...

Ok I LOVE love LOVE me some Target. So sorry you had a bad time there. Gosh some people really have nerve...tapping on the window. I'm thinking you saw red..ha!

Meant to be a mom said...

Thats terrible. I feel so bad for you. Stupid kid. Just wait kid, just wait until you have your kids and things are crazy and your trying to load them all in the car and then you will get it..

I don't blame you, I'm not a big fan of Targets either. Hopefully your next outing is better.

Heidi Boos said...

I think this post seriously made my day! You are so funny!! I pictured the whole thing as I was reading it.

Man, I just enjoyed these last 20-30 minutes of catching up on your blog (and avoiding any form of housework while the kids napped). Every minute was worth it! ;)

Rachel said...

I hear ya about it being a money trap.

Sorry about Melodie's bonk... yes - all other concerns are secondary when your kiddo is hurt!

Kmama said...

That is too funny!! Those trips out with the kids are just so difficult at first. Good for you for even trying!! I've given up before I've even left the house on a few occasions.

Holly said...

My local Targets have Starbucks too, and I have totally spilled my drink on the floor there. Gah! Glad your little one is OK -- I don't think a mom out there would have cared about what happened to the cart when your kid falls down like that. What's with pushing carts though? I never heard of that.

He & Me + 3 said...

YOu go Mama Bear! Take care of your young and forget about the stupid carts...what a jerk. Way to stand up for yourself.
I love target and all of ours are on pretty level ground. :) My magic number is 60.00 dollars. I can't get out of there under that. Ugh.

Dee said...

HAHAHA!! Thanks for the good laugh! He needs to learn that messing with a mommy is NOT smart!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I love it. You would have flattened that kid! I would have been so mad at that point, I would have been able to beat him over the head with the shopping cart.

(BTW - I did have to read the first sentence a few times. I love Target.)