Thursday, August 13, 2009

Charlie and the terrible, horrible, no good very bad day

Anyone who knows anything about me knows I hate bugs with a passion. And I'm terrified of them. I won't kill them, I won't catch them, I just run screaming from them.

(Yes, I know all my IRL friends and family are nodding their heads and rolling their eyes right now.)


Yesterday poor Charlie had a run in with one of those heinous creatures.

We were playing outside on the deck and all o
f a sudden he started screaming. At the top of his lungs. As if someone was pulling his toes off.

I run over and try and see wha
t's wrong. He's swatting at his face, but I can't see anything. I finally catch his hands and am turning his head around and still can't see what's gotten him so upset! I move his head again and finally see it.



This #*&(%$* thing caught in the folds of his sweet, fat, little baby neck.

Stinging him.

More than once.

Poor baby.

I did run screaming, but after I killed it. And continued to freak out about it long after Charlie calmed down. Fortunately, he was alright and didn't have too much of a reaction. Just a little bit of swelling where he was stung. A little Bendadryl helped with that issue. As of this morning, the swelling is almost totally gone and there's just some slight redness at the stinging sights.

A warning to all yellow jackets; stay away from my baby!!

18 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh no poor baby. They are out in full force this year. Our Bug guy said that is what is keeping him busy this summer. Ugh. I hate them too. So glad charlie is ok.

Carrie said...

Oh no! THat makes me mad, too...they attack us all the time...well, the wasps do. They make their cursed nests all over our stuff! Alex is so scared of them too. THere is a HUGE nest on our swingset and the kids try to play around it. I said 'don't bother them, and they won't bother you!' So far, no stings! Poor, sweet Charlie ;(

Kelli W said...

I am the same way about bugs...I usually run the other dircetion! For it to be stuck in his little fat baby neck must have been horrible! I'm glad the Benadryl helped and I hope he is feel all better today!

Kelli said...

That poor baby! I've talked about my fear of bees (in fact you would have found me screaming for my life last night as one chase me). I will spread the warning for you...stay away from Emily's babies.

Erin said...

I HATE BEES! I HATE INSECTS! Poor little guy! That happened to Alex last year eating a Popsicle. Got stuck in all that juicy sticky stuff and was stinging her!

I am glad he didnt have much of a reaction!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, that mean yellow jacket. See mommy instinct kicked in and you killed him yea!!

Jennie said...

Poor little guy :( Nothin' like something hurting one of your kids to drive your personal fears to the background! You go, Mom!

Summer said...

Poor Charlie.. :( You show that bug who's boss!!!

heidi said...

Oh snap! Poor Charlie!!! My mom just got stung the other day and she's allergic. I laughed at her, but I won't laugh at Charlie. Of course, my mom got stung while driving with her arm hanging out the window. The bee smacked into her arm and flew into her sleeve. Stung her on the arm then when she jerked forward in pain it flew down the back of her shirt and stung her on the top of her butt. Twice.

Bren said...

OH NO! Oh I would freak out, cry, scream and run around the block until the fire department showed up! Poor little man! I hope he's ok!

Shannon said...

Poor little boy! We've had multiple yellow jacket stings around here this year. They are the worst we've every had them. I'm glad he didn't have a bad reaction. I know that's always a worry.

Jen said...

I freak out at bees too unless then come near my kids, then I am a lethal weapon.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Oh no poor baby! I bugs too - especially the ones that bite!!!!
One time, when I was younger, I was dancing on a crosstie that had a yellowjacket nest in it - needless to say, I was stung a lot. A neighbor came over and put tobacco from a cigarette on it (he wet it) and it took the stinging out. Old wives tale but it worked. Hope he feels better soon!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Oh your poor baby!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Poor Charlie..but look at you...you killed a bug!

I'm glad he's okay.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Awww, poor baby! I bet he was just scared stiff! I am so glad you were able to find it quickly and get rid of it. I am glad he's doing better.

Heidi Boos said...

Poor thing! I felt so sad for him when I was reading this. Way to be brave for your boy!! My nephew (who will be 9) just got stung for the first time (3 different times!) when he got caught up in a wasp nest. I hate bees!!!

Bethany said...

Aw, poor guy! I was babysitting a little guy last week who got stung- I felt so bad when he shrieked and I saw the darn yellow jacket just flying away. :(