Tuesday, August 25, 2009

True Story Tuesday - the day the dress broke



Today I am celebrating 8 years of wedded bliss.

And in honor of this celebration, I'm going to share a true story that took place on my wedding day.

It's one of those totally-not-funny-at-the-time-but-hilarious-now stories.

Dress shopping was one of my favorite wedding
preparation experiences. Who doesn't love dress shopping?! And wedding dress shopping? Even better. My dad actually went with me to pick out my wedding dress. He narrowed it down to two and I chose his second favorite.

Like all brides, the wedding gown fitting is an important part. Several times I drove from Auburn to Atlanta to try on my gown and have it adjusted. Let it out a little here, take it in a little there.

The last fitting I had was just the week of my wedding.

When I put the dress at the last fitting, I commented that it was a little tight around the bust line. (Those were the days of my fabulous bust line.) The seamstress and I discussed options and since there were only a few days before my wedding, it didn't seem too tight and I didn't want to let it out only to have to worry about tugging it up all day, I decided that I would just leave it the way it was and, you know, make sure not to eat a lot that week.


Fast forward to the morning of the wedding and my Granny fluttering all around reminding me to eat. She kept talking about how she once saw a groom pass out at a wedding because he hadn't eaten all day. She tell me this as I'm getting out of the shower, again as I'm headed out to get my hair done, and again as I'm getting ready to go to the church.

Of course, I'm thinking, "I can't eat! I have to fit into my dress!"

I go to the church, hair done, make-up appl
ied, into the dress, suck in and button.

Ahhhh, perfect.

Out to take pictures and then back to the brides room to wait for the actual ceremony. Enter Granny. Still going on (and on) about eating. This time, though, she's armed with a tray of pastries. The temptation proves to be too much and I reach for one.

Apple danish. YUM!

I scarf it down and then bend over to grab a napkin...

All of a sudden I feel and hear a popping sound. Then suddenly I have a more freeing sensation around the top of my dress.

Yes, that top button had popped right off!


I immediately knew what happened, however, my lovely bridesmaids gather around me telling me that the button has just come undone. They are looking for a safely pin and then spend a lot of time attempting to safely pin it together. All the while, assuring me the butto
n as merely become unfastened. In walks my mother-in-law and joins the hoopla trying to safety pin my dress as well. In walk my own mother and aunt. The take one look at all the commotion and just walk back out.

Can you believe someone (and I'm not sure who!) took pictures of this fiasco!?!



Now, I don't actually know how long the whole process took but it felt like an hour. It was definitely long enough for me to eat one more danish.

A nice shot of rum to calm me down and a little while later I was ready to walk down the aisle and sign my life away marry the man of my dreams.

Ironically enough, the dress actually fit perfectly after the button broke! I was able to dance the night away! And I am happy to say that was really the only snaffu we experienced. Mostly.


We had a gorgeous wedding and a fabulous 8 years and I can only imagine how wonderful the rest will be!


Happy anniversary, babe! I'm so glad I married you!

31 comments:

Amanda said...

Happy Anniversary! Wedding day dress issues are horrible at the time.

I spilt water (luckily plain) all down the front of mine and was desperately blow drying it before walking down the aisle.

JennyMac said...

Happy Anniversary Emily!

And you looked gorgeous on your wedding day.

lsnellings said...

I don't think the danish was to blame...I think it was just your giant bazooms!
Happy Anniversary!

Kelli said...

I'm glad it was just the button and not the dress tearing...whew! You were a beautiful bride, I love your dress. I hope you all have a great anniversary and many more!

Brandi said...

Happy Anniversary! You looked beautiful on your wedding day and at least your husband remembered your ring. Mine left mine at home.

Kmama said...

Happy Anniversary!!

SouthernDogwoods said...

What a beautiful dress!!! You are a beautiful bride. What a cute couple! Happy Anniversary!

Pam said...

Congrats! A day that you want all to go well and then something like that happens....but look at the laughs and the story it left you to tell!
Pam

Jessica said...

Aw congratulations! You looked beautiful!

Kelli W said...

Your dress was gorgeous! It's fun to have a cute little story like that to remember from your wedding day...though I'm sure at the time you were SUPER stressed out! Happy Anniversary!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Happy Anniversary!!

So glad it worked out. The things we will do to look perfect on our wedding day! And, thank goodness for safety pins!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a fun story (looking back, of course). I might have to tell my wedding dress story!

Jennie said...

LOVE the dress. You look so pretty :) but doesn't every girl on her wedding day?!

Happy Anniversary!

He & Me + 3 said...

I probably would have went all Bridezilla on whoever was helping me at the moment if that had happened to me. Glad they were able to fix it. Beautiful pictures. Happy 8 years!

Foursons said...

Cute story! And you look adorably happy in the last photo. Happy Anniversary!

woman who roars said...

So funny! You were so composed that day I never would have guessed there was all that excitement behind the scenes!
Congrats on 8 wonderful years and tons more to come:-)

Erin said...

Great story. I am glad it fit better after that :)

Jen said...

You looked just beautiful, happy anniversary.

Meant to be a mom said...

Happy anniversary! You looked just beautiful in your dress, I'm glad the button fiasco didn't ruin the day.

Carrie said...

Happy Anniversary! You haven't changed at all...you are even more gorgeous ;) Beautiful photos and so funny you have pictures of your fiasco! Have an awesome day!

grammy said...

Sorry I just left the room!!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Happy Anniversary Emily!

Emily said...

What a great story...especially since you can't even tell. You looked amazing! Congrats on 8 happy years!!!!

Kmama said...

Emily, I did continue living in the apartment. The lime decomposes the remains very quickly and once they sealed everything up, I never had another problem. However, when I wanted to break my lease early, I made sure they remembered all the issues I had and they let me out without an issue. ;-)

Brandi said...

Happy Anniversary! Gorgeous wedding pics! :)

Mr. Daddy said...

Prudence would dictate, seeings as Rach hasn't commented yet...
that I just say Happy Anniversary and mention nothing at all about the sisters wanting to escape...SOOOOOOO

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!! :O)

Rachel said...

Glad to see Mr. Daddy exercising that filter between his brain and his fingers, LOL.

Beautiful bride! No one could tell you'd had a minor emergency! I mean, like my little issue of my SHOE coming off while walking down the aisle... pffft.

And I had to hold my breath all evening in my strapless gown because I didn't have anything to hold it up with... yeah, good times. The guy was worth it :)

Funny story with a great ending!

Heidi Boos said...

Too cute! I bet that was a bit stressful, but so happy that it all worked out in the end and the dress continued to "stay together" for the rest of the day. Happy (late) Anniversary!!

heidi said...

Damn danishes.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Ha,ha, ha! That was an awesome story to share. It's certainly one way to make one of the most memorable days of your life even more memorable!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Awwww! That's awesome! There is always a little behind the scenes drama!
:)

You looked gorgeous. happy anniversary!