Tuesday, July 28, 2009

you don't know what you got until it's gone

Warning!!!

This is a post about breasts. You know, boobs. My boobs in particular. So if you are of the male persuasion or simply don't want to read about breasts then this post is NOT for you.

Consider yourself warned and don't come crying to me if you read it anyway and are scarred for life.

Back in the day, you know, before kids, I had what I thought were decent breasts. Now that I've had kids, I've come to realize they were the best breasts ever.
My wedding day...notice the perfect cleavage peeking out the top?
Yet, I didn't appreciate them at the time. I can still remember standing in front of the mirror pointing out my breasts imperfections to my sorority sisters.

(*Note: Even though I didn't fully appreciate them, I did realize their power and went to extremes to take care of them. A friend of my mom's had told me to always wear a bra even at night to prevent sagging. I took that to heart. Seriously, I think the only night of my life I
went braless was my wedding night, per my husband's request! And just in case you're wondering, that little tip turned out to be BS. Yep, all those nights of wearing a bra did nothing for me.)

"They're too big!" I would whine, "I can't wear that type of bra with these boobs. I guess I'll just have to go braless. *sigh*"

If I only had that problem now! Now I'm saying, "I can't go braless...they'll poke out the hem of my shirt!"

My friend Lindsey at one point asked her now-husband Webb (aka Alex's boyfriend) if they were fake! Talk about a compliment! That's the best one I've ever received. Natural breasts so firm and perky that you can't tell if they're real or fake! That's boob perfection, my friends.

Then I had kids. Plural. Had I stopped after Jac
k they probably would have survived. They wouldn't have been the same but they were ok, like average, yk.
But Melody, my champion nurser, sucked. me. dry. She would probably still be nursing if I let her! They were pretty much a mere saggy memory of what had been after Melody got through with them. Charlie finished them off. Even the slightest hint of what they used to be is gone now.

Now instead of trying to find shirts that cover them appropriately, I am looking for clothing that will give the illusion of cleavage. I've become pretty good at faking it, thankyouverymuch.

As I've dealt with the emotional turmoil of the loss of what I once viewed as my greatest (physical) quality, my husband has been so supportive. When I asked him to be honest and tell me how they really look he told me he still loved them and they weren't that bad. His exact words were, "It's not like you look like some tribal woman in Africa."


Thanks, honey.

He also told me that he'd be happy to pay for a lift and/or implants.

That's sweet.

Thank goodness the three absolutely adorable children I have were more than worth the price I paid. Don't you agree?

31 comments:

lsnellings said...

Well, they were almost worth the price.

Jessica said...

This really got me thinking...I have only had 1 kid & my boobs are nowhere near what they used to be, I am scared to see what's going to happen after #2 gets done with them! I have already vowed that I will get a lift after I am completely done breastfeeding. Good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way about my boobs! ha Oh, & I totally agree that they are well worth it! :0)

Kelli said...

So worth it. I had to laugh out loud about them poking out the hem of your shirt.

He & Me + 3 said...

That is too funny. I was cracking up the whole time, yet in agreement. Mine used to be super tiny and now I actually have a chest.
Yes those 3 cuties were worth it...just like mine. But not sure if mine were worth the stretch marks. LOL

Bren said...

I am so with you. I've only had one and basically my breasts are shot - gone - caput! Nothing worse than going from Pamela Anderson while breast feeding to little ole granny chest when it was done. sigh....

Sneaky Momma said...

My boobs are shot, too. If given the opportunity to lift 'em, I think I just might do it. Maybe. :)

Jennie said...

I love hubby compliments ... they mean so well but don't always put together the best words for us to hear :)

Jennie said...

...and oh yeah...WAR EAGLE :)

Erin said...

So are you going to take him up on that offer of a lift or implants?!?!

Tina said...

Emily:

So funny....that saying is so true!

BTW love your wedding picture...

Come by my blog I am having a hairbow giveaway....

Tina said...

While mine were never even close to perfect, they are even further away after 3 kids. I agree, it's a good thing they're worth it!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Well, I'd say they are still pretty hot! Hope your appt goes well!

Unknown said...

Very funny! I still think you look great! But I agree my girls have ruined my breasts too but they're so worth and yours are too :)

Momisodes said...

They were totally worth it. And you look gorgeous!

I'm officially scared though. I was an...*ahem*...beginning of the alphabet cup size before having my daughter. Then after breastfeeding her for almost 2 years, I have gone CONCAVE. I fear what they'll look like after a 2nd child.

2 grand canyons?

*sobs*

Pam said...

I can totally relate to "The Tale Of Two Boobs"! Especially going braless with the girls peeping out from under the hem of your shirt. I'm SO there.

Now if I could lose my pre-baby, Baby #1 AND Baby #2 weight then I'm all over a lift and REDUCTION!! When they're big and they sag, they're no good to anyone. Especially the one lugging them around 24/7. :-(

Great post!

Kelli W said...

You are too funny! A ton of my friends complain about this too! I couldn't breastfeed my boys{I had a reduction when I was 21 and it messed up my milk ducts} so I think that kept my boobs from being too affected by pregnancy! I am all for a little nip and tuck though...especially if your hubby says yes! I am seriously going to look into a tummy tuck after I work off some of my forever accumulating up baby weight!

Carrie said...

Lol! I don't even know what mine used to be like...just not flat and saggy like they are now! haha! I remember complaining when I was pregnant with Alex that they were so big! Man, too bad now! So worth it for those cutie pies! So funny!

woman who roars said...

Laughing. So. Hard.

Unknown said...

You're too funny! I feel much the same way. i wish I could have them filled back like they were when I was nursing my babies - they were awesome then!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Ditto! lol! It's been so long, I don't remember what my tata's were like before kids.

Heidi Boos said...

You got guts, girl! ;)

Sara said...

I can't describe how much I feel ya sista!

Boobs are looked at so differently with each woman, but I can't stand mine right now with the saggy-ness and the inability to wear button down shirts without that "hole" peeking out.

Boobs, Boobs, Boobs.... you break out sweet Momma Hearts! :)

Jen said...

The thing that kids do to 'the girls' is not fair.
Great post.

Lyryn said...

Oh my word… that is so ME!!!! Couldn’t stand my boobs back then… and now, I would give anything to have them back! What the heck! Oh… what we do for our kids!!!

Tanielle said...

Yep, I completely understand!!!:-)

Chris said...

Hey, what guy doesn't like to read about boobs? :)

scrappysue said...

yep they're good boobies! unfortunately it's one of the many things we took for granted when we didn't know any better!!!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I hear ya, Sista! I don't want augmentation, I just would love it if they girls were pulled up a bit.

One of my girlfriends with 3 kids was in a fitting room with her daughter:
"Mommy, when I grown up am I going to have long boobs like you...?"

If god is fair, sweetie, if God is fair.

Rachel said...

Still laughing over here... I can totally relate!

Actually, when Itty Bit was still breastfeeding was the ONLY time I have ever worn a bikini. I felt like at least if my top kinda sorta matched my hips, it wouldn't make the rest of my imperfections so obvious. I had NO clue that it was all downhill from there, ha ha.

Totally worth it though - as you well know!

heidi said...

Oh how I lament the loss of my wonderfully perky boobs. 4 kids later they aren't even in the same zipcode as my face.

Casey's trio said...

Ahhh the things we give up for our kids! I love your hubby's attempt at making you feel better by telling you that you don't look like a tribal woman in Africa!