Tuesday, July 7, 2009

True Story Tuesday - I threw an egg at my husband


It's True Story Tuesday over at Once Upon a Miracle. Head on over there for some more true story fun.

Ok, I can't believe I'm actually admitting to this. It's pretty bad. I'm sure I'll get a lecture from my mother about being nicer and not throwing things. In fact, Mom, just don't read this.

Saturday morning, I got up about 6:30 for a cool early morning run and quick stop to the grocery store. When I went downstairs, Jack was already up and I asked if he wanted to go with me. Just a little tip, it's tough to run while helping a 5 year old with his newfound bike riding ability. I alternated between sprinting, walking while pushing a bike, pushing a 5 year old on a bike while running, and just some plain old jogging. I'm pretty sure I burned enough calories to equal at least one bowl of ice cream though!

Anyways, all my other family members were alseep, so as Jack got dressed I left a LARGE, BOLD note for Alex on the couch in
the family room.

I'm sure you're asking why I didn't leave it on the kitchen. I have left notes there before and Alex has missed them. He has told me that he's not expecting to see a note. As our kitchen counter was somewhat cluttered (*gasp* I know, I'm such a neat freak and I had a moment of weakness!) I figured he would miss it. Since our family room as very clean it seemed like there was no way he could miss it.

He did.

(This is the super clean family room. Do you see the note?)

About an hour later, as I'm checking out in Kroger, in comes a barefoot and completely frantic Alex, holding Melody and Charlie and the relief at seeing Jack spreads across his face.

He apparently got the other kids up and couldn't find Jack, did not see the note, didn't know where Jack was and panicked. (The irony of this is that he told me he did look all over the kitchen counter for a note!)

I got angry with him for not seeing the note I went to such great pains to place in a totally obvious spot!

We went home irritated. Then we argued a bit. Then I threw an egg. Which actually bounced off my husband and cracking only when it hit the wall, splattering egg everywhere. Yes, I cleaned it up. I'm pretty sure Alex took a lot some slight joy in watching me do this. By the way, egg is really hard to clean off of wooden blinds, windows, paint, and baseboards.

So there it is. That's a true story and a pretty big confession all in one.

Babe, I'm sorry that I was angry with you. I should have just seen the humor in the situation and been happy that you love our child so much that you were willing to walk into Kroger barefoot to find him.
I'm sorry I didn't control my temper better.
I'm glad you saw the humor in the egg throwing.
I'm glad we made up.
And I'm really glad we finally designated a place to put all notes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And in other news...anybody see The Bachelorette last night? I know y'all aren't going to believe this, but I actually thought what Wes did was pretty funny and I thought that Jillian had it coming. Had this been 5 episodes ago, I would have sided with Jillian. But, seriously, how many people warned her? Yet, she kept "following her instincts". Um, well, Jillian, it looks like your instincts lead you to make some pretty poor choices.

18 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

It's okay if I giggle just a little at this, right?

woman who roars said...

The best part is you took PICTURES to document your case!

Kelli W said...

Too funny and SO something that I would do! I don't think I've ever thrown an egg...but other things for sure!

Kelli said...

I had to laugh at this post, but I feel bad that Alex was so worried. I'm glad you found a place for notes from now on.

Lins said...

Awh! In his bare little feets. Poor thing must've been freaking out.

Is it pathetic that I was sad for you when I read the egg didn't break when it hit your hubby? I'm sure that must've been anti-climactic. :)

Tina said...

Well at least you can find the humor in things....

How sweet that hubby loves his family so much he came in barefoot.....

Glad all is well now!

Foursons said...

What made your husband decide to go looking for you at Kroger?

I'm glad you picked a designated note spot. I always tape mine to the TV for my hubby or the front door for my older boys.

Summer said...

That is just too funny! Glad you both designated an area from now on!

Ok...so, about the Bachelorette...I agree that Jillian had it coming..but, that doesn't make Wes any less of a TOTAL JERKFACE! UGH...IF ANYONE OUT THERE BUYS HIS CD, I WILL PERSONALLY HUNT THEM DOWN AND MAKE THEM SORRY THEY WERE EVER BORN!
(whoa...where did that come from??) LOL!

When she let Jake go, I knew she was off her rocker....

lsnellings said...

Alex really does provide some good blogging material! hahaha!

Eve said...

Hmmm... well, in your defense, you'd think that he would have looked in every crevice of the house (including on, under and around the couch) before running out of it.

And, at least eggs are not likely to do much bodily harm. I knew a couple who would throw whatever happened to be in their hand at the time they got angry - frequently it was their coffee mugs.

It is great though that he loves his children enough that he would become so frantic that he couldn't see a note that was in plain sight. ;)

Erin said...

I think you should move to Minnesota because I think we would be best friends! I soo would throw and egg at my husband and YES I 2 would be the one cleaning it up!

Its a great story and one you will laugh at forever and ever when you go back and read through your blog!

Rachel said...

LOL! That was too funny... I mean, cuz it has a happy (and safe kid) ending, right?!

Umm... so how on earth did he figure to go to Kroger to look for him? That part has me confused, ha ha.

And don't remind Mr. Daddy, that I have a silly little habit of "tossing" stuff too :) Egg is a good choice!

Great story - thanks for joining up! :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Okay, since I know the kids were safe, that is FREAKING hilarious! Hubby would totally miss a note, too and freak out...although, I don't think he would go to the grocery store barefoot.

And, if only the egg would have broken on him...

Eddy Rix said...

From Fr. Eddy....

Confession having been made, I absolve thee from all thy sins...(and pray for me...for I too am a sinner [although I've never thrown an egg at anyone. Not even my wife]).

Lindsay said...

that is SUCH a man thing....not noticing an OBVIOUS note, that is. Seriously - i've left COUNTLESS notes on an EMPTY kitching counter and he misses them. Every. Time.

Hilarious story, btw...and next time I wanna throw something at DH, it'll be an egg....only it'll be OUTSIDE! lol. How therapeutic.

Sneaky Momma said...

I love it! You egged your husband! Too funny! Glad he has a sense of humor. :)

Carrie said...

Oh, how frantic he must have been! I have never just dropped a whole gallon of milk on the floor when I was angry with Dan over something! And yes...I had to clean it up! Not fun! Milk can be very sticky! but egg...yikes! WE live and learn...and make up! Good story...not fun at the time...but will always be good for a laugh now! glad everyone's safe and sound!

Bethany said...

I'm laughing but at the same time feeling almost sorry for your husband! That's a good daddy to go looking for his son w/ two kids in tow, barefoot-- but seriously laughing at the note. Typical guy!