Thursday, June 11, 2009

monthly craft challenge - monogram


To say I'm not a crafty person would be an understatement! Seriously, I can barely tie a ribbon around a present. In fact, I can barely wrap a present, which explain why the vast majority of presents I give are given in a gift bag. However, Heidi at Blue Eyed Blessing seems to be able to bring out the little bit of craftiness I possess and I'm participating in this month's challenge.

The challenge is monogram. Heidi has defined a monogram as a design composed of one or more letters, typically the initials of a name, used as an identifying mark. Hopefully what I'm entering will count. Remember, I'm a crafty newbie so don't be cruel.
A while ago, I realized that all of Melody's hairbows were just a jumbled mess, haphazardly clipped on to an old ribbon in her room. Y'all know how happy I am that we finally have enough hair to actually use a hair bow and I wanted my sparse growing collection of hair bows properly displayed. After searching Etsy (a site I have only recently discovered, by the way) for hair bow holder, I suddenly realized I could make one myself. So, off I went to Michaels. There were quite a lot of options to choose from, however, given that this is pretty much my first craft project (not counting the silly little sticker crafts I always do with my children to keep them entertained)
I decided to keep it simple and do an 'M'. After choosing my letter, I moved on to craft paint. Again I looked at all the options that lay in front of me, but my inexperience again go the best of me. I just choose pink. Here's where I got bold; yes, the ribbon I choose does in fact have a pattern on it! A little foam brush and a glue gun and I'm ready to get crafty.
Simple or not, I'm pretty happy with the result. Melody's bows are nicely displayed and I'm proud of myself for actually creating something (maybe?) worth blogging about. This is despite the fact that I did glue part of the ribbon on backwards. Thankfully it's the part that hangs and I don't think it's that noticeable.

Oh and let me just give a little shout out to whoever invented the glue gun. That, my friends, is an ingenious invention. Not only did it do an amazing job attaching the ribbon to my wooden letter, but it has proven to be durable enough to withstand the excitement of a two-year-old. My husband even used it it fix a few broken things around the house. Instead of "where's the duct tape" he's asking where the glue gun is!

I know this is small bones to many of you, but for me, making this was quite a feat! Hopefully I'm on my way to many more fun craft projects.

In fact, I was recently scouring Etsy for a ribbon board for Melody's room. Those also looked like something I might could try making myself. I even googled "ribbon memory board" and a DIY website came up with step by step instructions. However, there were a few craft supplies that I had never heard of and had no idea where to find them, so I think I might need to stick to my simple glue gun activities until I perfect my skills a bit!

Oh, and when I showed it to Melody she responded with her current catch phrase, "Oh, it's so cute!"

19 comments:

Summer said...

Oh my! You have GOT to get Melody on video saying that!!! That sounds adorable!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That is too cute, indeed. And, I love the little collage you made.

And, look at that marque you got on your blog...wow...I'm impressed.

Missy said...

This is very cute. Good idea to make it monogrammed.

Dee said...

GREAT idea!!! I might have to steal that one at some point!

steph said...

wow, very impressive and it looks great, totally crafty! Again, so glad I have boys but if I only I could find a way to corral all the legos, match box cars,etc into something cute that hangs on the wall out of sight and not underfoot!

Momisodes said...

I love this! What a creative idea. This would look wonderful in my daughter's room, too.

lsnellings said...

Okay, I am so impressed with you!!! And it turned out really cute! Very creative, my crafty friend!

Tina said...

That is so cute! lol

What a great idea! I may have to borrow it for my daughter's room!

Kelli W said...

Emily! It is so cute! I can't believe this is your first craft project...you did a SUPER job! I love the letter and the ribbon is really cute! Did you really just buy your first glue gun? I couldn't live without my glue gun!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Holy crap girl, that is some serious talent and I love that creative idea.

Katie said...

What a useful way to use the initial letter. We are in need of a bow holder here. I better work on that;)

Crystal said...

Wow! That is really cute and so useful. I think I need one for my daughter's room. Great idea.

Heidi Boos said...

I don't know, Emily, you may have a little more craftiness in you than you might think! You did a fabulous job with this and how lucky did you get that the letter M has two places to hang ribbon...for even more bows to be attached. Thanks so much for joining in this month. I am so happy that you were inspired...that's what it's all about! I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing you again for our next craft challenge. ;)

Bobbi & Noe said...

We love hair bows and bow holders! Great job Mama!

Dawn said...

It is cute!! Great job!!

Carrie said...

So cute! It turned out fabulous! I would buy that from you! You can't go wrong with Pink,and I love all her little ribbons! Awesome job!

Pam said...

Emily, I'm sooo proud of you! You did a great job with that whole project. Cute ribbon, too, by the way.

I'm sure that if you just read those ribbon board instructions a couple more times you would be perfectly capable of tackling that project as well.

Here's your big {Pat on the back}!

Coley said...

This was my first time participating in Heidi's craft challenge too!

You did a great job on your "M" hairbow holder. I never would have known that it was your first crafty project had you not said so!

I'm not sure if a "ribbon board" is the same thing as a "memory board" but I have a pretty simple tutorial for a memory board on my blog and could answer any questions you might have if you needed more clarification.

Good luck!

Xazmin said...

Oh, it IS sooo cute! I love it!