Thursday, December 31, 2009

PSF and love letters

My husband and I met on January 1, 2000. After dating for that year (more or less) he few up to Philadelphia (where my parents lived at the time) to spend New Year's Eve.

He told me he had something special for me and when we went out for dinner that night, he pulled out a box of stationary.

His idea was to write letters to each other about our thoughts on the current year and predictions for the upcoming year. After we wrote the letters, we would seal them up and open them the following New Year's Eve.

This is the letter he wrote me that night. Among other romantic words, he writes of how he's going to propose in the near future and that he hopes we'd be married that summer.


Our letter writing has become a tradition that we look forward to each year. In the past nine years the pile has grown and it's amazing to re-read the letters remembering what we thought would happen and recall what actually happened. One of the most memorable letters would be the letters we opened in 2008. In our letters written on December 31, 2007 we both talk about the joy Melody has brought our family and how fulfilled we feel as a family of four. However, by the time those letters were read, Charlie was already 3 months old!


I have spent some time over the past few days reflecting on this year with my husband and thinking about the kind of wife I want to be for him in 2010. While past letters have predicted many different things, there is one thought that is repeated over and over: how much we love each other and love being married. That is one thing I don't predict to change!

Happy New Year!

Be sure to check out My Chaos My Bliss for more Photostory Friday.

30 comments:

Kelli W said...

What a great tradition! I bet the old letters are so much fun to go back and read! That is too funny about Charlie being born before you open the letter from the year before. Isn't strange how things that make us happy can change so easily! Happy New Year!

Foursons said...

I love this tradition! Those letters are going to be such a treasure to your children and grandchildren one day. Love it, love it, love it.

{Kimber} said...

okay now this is just the sweetest thing!!!!!!
it gave me chills....soooo sweet!
you two are blessed!!
Happy New Year

Kelli said...

That is a wonderful tradition. How cool to have all of those letters year after year. WONDERFUL!!!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a cool idea. I never would have even thought to do something like that. But, I do have a box full of letters Matt and I wrote each other one summer when he was gone to England and France. That was pretty cool.

Brandi said...

That. Is. The. SWEETEST!!! Wow, I just love it! :)

Happy New Year!

Bren said...

How wonderful to have those memories to go back to and to share going forward. That is such an awesome thing to share and makes me jealous my husband and I don't do something like that! Happy New Year!

Jen said...

That is really, really awesome! What a great idea.

Happy New Year to you.

latree said...

OMG how swee....t!

lsnellings said...

I love that tradition! And what's even funnier about the 2008 letters is that Charlie had probably already been conceived when you wrote those letters!

Chris said...

Emily, I can't begin to describe how much I love what are doing here. What a beautiful tradition! And I absolutely love that you write with a pen, on actual paper.

There is something VERY personal about the tactile action of placing pen to paper.

Gorgeous.

Emily, I have really enjoyed getting to know you better this last year, and I wish nothing but blessings for you and your beautiful little family this coming year.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Awwwwwww, how beautiful. That's love!!

He & Me + 3 said...

What an awesome idea! I love this!
Happy New Year!

HeatherOz said...

What a special tradition! I love it!
Happy New Year!!

SouthernDogwoods said...

What a great idea! And a sweet tradition!!! I love this!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What a great tradition!
All the best to you and your family this year!

Carolyn Ford said...

Wonderful tradition full of memories...fabulous post!

Cecily R said...

That is very VERY cool. What a wonderful tradition!

Happiest New Year to you and your family!

Carrie said...

Aw, Emily, that is so sweet and such a wonderful tradition! I love it! What a perfect way to start the year :) I hope your kids will follow this tradition too, how wonderful! they will enjoy reading them when they're older!

Kmama said...

What a very cool tradition. And the entire time I was reading your post, I was thinking about how awesome it is that your kids will have those some day, to read through and look back on your lives.

Emily said...

What a creative tradition. When the kids get older maybe they can participate as well!! Hope you had a Happy New Year!!!!

prashant said...

What a great tradition!

How to make a website

JennyMac said...

Love this Emily..the world needs more romantics!

Angie said...

I love this idea...wish I had thought of that...how awesome to read the letters from years past!!

Happy New Year!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

AWESOME tradition!!! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

Mrs. NB

Gretchen said...

How very very sweet. Strong marriages are built on stuff like this!

Summer said...

That is really a special tradition! How thoughtful and wonderful to be able to look back upon your years together...Best wishes to this year! 2010 will be fantastic!

Momisodes said...

That has to be one of the sweetest traditions I've ever heard of. What a special way to celebrate.

Wishing you all a happy and joyous 2010.

Daily Tales of Sugar and Spice said...

GREAT idea!!!

Nocona said...

Oh how beautiful! I love that he thought of that. What a treasure.