Tuesday, December 8, 2009

True Story Tuesday and the fake Christmas tree



You've probably noticed that we have a fake tree. Unless of course, you're used to seeing live trees perfectly triangularly shaped.

We haven't always had a fake tree. Up until Christmas 2006 we had always had a real, live tree.

Christmas 2006 was our first Christmas we stayed at home. Jack was 2 and I was almost 9 months pregnant with Melody.

A few weeks before Christmas we went over to Webb and Lindsey's house for a little Christmas cheer. When we arrived, Lindsey was frantically sweeping the floor. She insisted that she had swept several times that day but that she kept seeing stuff all over the floor. Webb and Alex go in for a closer look and discover (be prepared to be freaked out!) bugs crawling all. over. the. tree.

After completely freaking out (ok, only Lindsey and I freaked out) we quickly un-decorated the tree and disposed of it outside.

When Alex and I got home, we immediately inspected our tree (since we got it at the same place as they did). Fortunately, we were bug free. However, I just couldn't let it go and continually checked it over the next few days. And lo and behold, a few days later (be prepared to freak out again) bugs on my tree!

We un-decorated our tree and took it outside. We went back to the place where we bought it and they let us pick out another tree. After all we had to have a tree on Christmas! After careful inspection, we deemed it bug free and brought it home.

A few days later, on December 23, Jack and I were wrapping a few more gifts and placing them under the tree when I noticed some tiny specks on the floor. Yep, bugs again. (Cue more freaking out.)

I began un-decorating the tree and called one of Alex's buddies to help me drag it outside.

Remember at the beginning of this story when I mentioned that I was almost 9 months pregnant with Melody? Well, I tend to be a little on the dramatic hormonal side all the time when I'm pregnant. So, pregnancy hormones plus having two bug infested trees really pushed me over the edge.

By the time Marc got over here, I had already managed to drag the buggy tree outside. I then lopped off the top, (which was crawling, crawling with bugs by the way) and put it in a garbage bag and headed over to the place we got the tree. When I arrived I asked to see the manager. Looking back, I kind of feel bad for the poor guy. He was this nice guy and I don't think he knew what hit him when my hormones attacked him. I gave him the garbage bag and told every. single. detail. of the two bug infested trees. Including freaking out about how bugs were currently crawling over my very favorite angel tree topper (which was in the bag).

After I was finished he looked at me and asked me what I wanted him to do. My answer was simple and straight forward, "Get all the bugs off my tree topper and let me pick out an artificial tree and give it to me for free."

He didn't hesitate even a second before saying, "Deal." I think he was worried I might go into labor if I got any more worked up!

He took the bag from me and went to work on the tree topper while I walked back to where their artificial trees were. There were slim pickings since it was practically Christmas, however there was one relatively decent, pre-lit tree that I snagged. They loaded it into my car and off we went. My hormones were still raging and I some how managed to get this extremely heavy tree out of the car and up into the house and then I practically had the whole thing up and decorated by the time Alex got home from work.

Here we are in front of our fake, but more importantly, bug-free tree!




We have used the artificial tree for a number of reasons every year since. Convenience is certainly one of those reasons and I'm also a little nervous about having another bug infested tree. However, I think that next year we'll give the real thing another try. After all, finding the perfect tree is all part of the Christmas experience!

Don't forget to head on over to Once Upon a Miracle for some more True Story Tuesdays!

20 comments:

Morgan said...

Oh my goodness! As much as I'm hooked on real trees, I don't know if I could ever get one again if I we through what you went through. You're brave to even think of getting another real tree. I'm going to go home and inspect my tree tonight. I pray that it's bug-free.

Jennie said...

O!M!G! That creeps me out! We have a faker ourselves, and this just gives me another reason to be thankful for it :)

Pam said...

There is a lot to be said for a pregnant woman with hormones acting up! Go girl! As for me, not sure I could chance a real one after that. Mine is the fake, pre lite kind...easy and nothing to fuss with ...like bugs!

Bren said...

We were seriously considering a real tree this year but after reading your story I'm glad we didn't. I do wonder if that is a "southern" problem though because up here in Wisconsin (or all my years in IL) we never ever had bugs and always had a real tree.

Kmama said...

Uh, yeah, now i'm itching all over. Eew!! I would not be happy. We went with a fake tree a few years ago and I love it. It's so easy to put up and take down and there aren't any needles (or bugs!) to deal with.

I love the smell of a real tree though.

{Kimber} said...

This {among other reasons} is why I love fake trees :)
those bugs would have creeped me out for sure!
You were adorable preggers too!

Together We Save said...

Oh my word!! I can only imaginge! I would have freaked out too.

Kelli W said...

Ohmygoodness! I would have been freaking out too! I don't like bugs at all! And to have to decorate and undecorate a tree twice is just torture! I think if you get a real tree next year, you should NOT go back to the same place...just to be safe!

Kelli said...

EEEEEEEKKKKKKK! I have heard of people have bugs, gross, gross, gross. I'm glad it all worked out (bug free) in the end. Shiver.

Foursons said...

Oh my gosh, I don't think I could have handled that...and no way would I have handled it twice. I wonder how many other people even noticed the bugs who bought their tree from that lot.

We have a fake tree too- for allergy reasons. But right now I am loving my fake tree!

Kat said...

ACK! BUGS!

This is our first year with artificial trees. We've always had real trees, but we needed two trees this year and it just seemed more practical to get the fake ones. I'm actually liking it. Especially knowing they are bug free. ;)

Meant to be a mom said...

Yikes. I would have freaked also. Ewe, bugs on the tree means they could move and then you have bugs in the carpet or in the couch. AHHH!
I don't blame you. We have a fake tree and now that Cooper is here with us. I feel like we should have a real tree. We might think about it next year also but as for now I'm just glad we don't have a bug infested tree like you guys did.

Erin said...

your stories are always the best!!! Ick, gross, bugs everywhere?!?! That is not ok! I am glad you where able to get a fake tree instead. We have a fake tree because thats what my husband is used to. Plus I always forget to water the real ones!!

lsnellings said...

I remember that!! It's still funny!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Oh no! Yes definitely worthy of a freaking out!
I am a fake tree girl too. After my mom getting scratched on the eyeball by a pine needle and a lizard jumping out of my grandparents tree - I am a fake tree girl all the way! You have a beautiful Chrismtas tree!

Angie said...

I feel like I have bugs crawling all over me, just from reading that! Buggy!

He & Me + 3 said...

Ugh my skin is crawling. THat was horrible. What do you think caused all the trees to have bugs. I never even thought about that....maybe buying a real tree no longer appeals to me. :)

Carrie said...

Aaaah! I can't believe that! How awful for you! Too funny...you look completely happy and non-freaked out in front of your fake tree, LOL! We've always had a real tree until this year, just because we'll be traveling over Christmas and didn't want to have it there when we got home. And it is so much easier! Great story! And Jack looks so cute on Christmas morning...that's all that matters anyway!

Rachel said...

I am just dying at the fact that you have a tag on the post called "horrible things that scare me" - you are a hoot!

I must confess that I laughed through your story and pregnant or not - I would have made the guy take a good look at all the bugs and make it right!

And Good Lord - do NOT show my son the picture of Jack with that amazing toy that my kiddo would LOOOOOVE :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

We don't have a tree; fake or real. While a real tree is nice a fake one sure is easier.