Tuesday, April 14, 2009

passy broke

My little Melody has had a passy for a long time. Since birth actually. You might not be aware of this, since I try to avoid taking and/or posting pictures with the passy in her mouth, but she is totally addicted to it. In fact, passy was her third word, although she called it a "bossy" then.


See?
Don't get me wrong. I love passies.

The Nuk is our favorite style.

All of my children have had them and passies definitely are in the top five list of "best inventions of all time". But there's a time and a place for passies.

Ok, I know she's only two, children have their passys for longer than that, she won't go to Kindergarten with it, yada yada yada. That's fine, but for us it was time to say good-bye. I didn't mind her having it when it was just a little bit around the house and during naptime and at night. But, lately she's been whinning for "mah passy" a lot. Way too much in fact. It's getting to be a real pain.

Since I don't like to have to get up in the middle of the night to find a dropped passy, my children have 6+ in their cribs. We have slowly been taking Melody's away one at a time. When we got down to three, they started "breaking". They break when mommy cuts the tip off. A few weeks ago we had gotten down to just one, but I just wasn't brave enough to let it go. Well, as we were leaving Music Class today and I was listening to Melody pitch a fit begging for the passy, I got the moment bravery I needed to end it. Yep, we got home and I got to the passy before Melody did and cut the tip off. She picked it up and said, in this sweet, angelic voice filled with shock, "My passy bwoke." And then, if it could get even more heartbreaking, walked over to Alex and said, "Daddy, fix it." He told her he couldn't and she said that she was going to "thwo it 'way." And she did. I did have a brief moment of weakness when I begged asked my husband to go to CVS and buy another one. Fortunately, he remained strong.

I knew the real test would be at naptime. When I put her in her room, she did ask for it. I asked her what happened and she recalled the incident. I left the room and didn't hear a peep for about two hours. She was a little fussy when she woke up, but a little snuggling and an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fixed that problem. She did, at one point, walk over to the garbage can to look for it, but I told her that the garbage man had already taken it away to which she replied with her new catch-phrase, "Oh we-yull." (Which, by the way, sounds just adorable). We had a fun afternoon at the park and she's now back in bed. She didn't even mention passy this time.

So, it seems, that is that. Another milestone gone. My sweet little Melody is turing into such a big girl.

8 comments:

lsnellings said...

I am glad getting rid of the passy has been a pretty easy transition. Deep down, Libby is still not over losing hers!

Twisted Cinderella said...

She was so brave about it! Good for her.

Princess Belle and Magpie gave up their passies when they were a few months old. Princess Belle continued to such her thumb at night until she was six though.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

So glad it went so well. And, I'm glad Alex didn't cave, either!

Kelli W said...

Wow!! It sounds like that went really well for you!! I think we had a hard time getting rid of the passy with Henry....and both of my older ones were at least two before we got rid of them!

steph said...

Yay for Melody! R is paci free too and it is so nice to not have to deal with it anymore. M has a love/hate relationship with his at the moment and likes to rip it from his mouth during a nap and act like he doesn't want it back. I've seen him sucking his thumb in his sleep so maybe he'll ditch paci for thumb...we'll see.

Bren said...

I missed this post - for some reason blogger didn't show you as having an updated post on my listing. Funny - we still have 5 nuks in Maggie's crib so she always has access to one. I figure we have a few more months until we do the no more nuks at all.

Pam said...

My girls were never into pacifiers.

They derived their comfort from a strange fascination with their belly buttons. As in, they stuck their favorite finger in their belly button like a thumb in a mouth. Without all of the spit, mind you.

Both girls rubbed their buttons so much that they calloused. Weird, huh. I always joked, "At least it's not dirty and they can always find it!"

BTW, they both still do it but not like before~~When they were little, they both walked around with their dresses hiked up and their finger in their button. I couldn't put anything one-piece on them unless they could reach their button somehow. Again, weird.

Eva said...

My hubby always makes me get rid of them at 1 1/2 years old.... it's hard work but worth it in the end.