Saturday, April 11, 2009

crashed

Well, my worst fear has come true. Ok, not really my worst fear, but still something I really didn't want to happen. My computer crashed. Yep. It's currently at Geek Squad getting the data pulled off the hard drive. Hopefully there will be not problems with that as all my picture are on there. And, since I know you're all thinking, "surely she backed them up." The answer is no. I know, I know. I actually had them backed up on our desktop and then my husband and his computer genius buddy, Webb, decided to wipe our desktop and use it for storage and as a server. So, yes, the crash happened in the few weeks that my backup system was actually in maintenance as well. As to what will happen to my computer after the data is retrieved is still a mystery. Right now I'm just concerned about making sure I have my data. I'm not sure what I would do if I lost all my pictures documenting my children's lives. Well, ok, I do know what I would do. I would survive and just start over, but I would be majorily upset for a while.

I do have a few drafts ready to be published. But new stuff will probably be scare on my blog until I get this sorted out. I'm currently mooching off my husband's work issued laptop. Apparently it's a pretty high-tech system, however I like what I had and keep messing things up with this one.

I don't know how much time I will have for blogging in the near future though as I now have three mobile children. Charlie has figured out the army crawl and is pretty darn fast too. That newfound skill, combined with Melody's new thrill of opening doors (such as the door to the very steep steps of the basement) are keeping my eyes and ears elsewhere.

Don't forget that my Twilight giveaway ends tomorrow. I'll choose three winners using random.org tomorrow afternoon so you still have about 24 hours to enter.

10 comments:

lsnellings said...

I feel your pain! I have no pictures from 2005 and 2007! Why does my computer always crash after I give birth? I should double check the external hard drive before May 1st!

I really, REALLY want a twilight shirt!

steph said...

That sucks about the computer, hope it all works out. Wow, army crawling already. M just acts like he is swimming on the floor with arms and legs flailing around and can push up very tall on is tummy but no movement yet. Post a video of C when you can!

Bren said...

wow - I think I am going to back up my newer pictures tonight and make sure the others are safe as well. I would probably cry for days on end if I lost my pictures. Good luck - hope you get them retrieved!!!

Jen said...

Oh that is terrible. I hope that you can get your stuff recovered and every thing figured out quickly.

Pam said...

So sorry about the crash. That's just awful. I don't know if I could EVER get over that. I pray I never find out!

Good luck with the Geek Squad ;)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Yikes! I hope they can recover everything. That is super scary!

And, that stinks that Melody figured out the doors. Izzy's had them for a while and the very first day she did it, I went out and got the child locks. I'm mean like that.

And, I can't believe Charlie is crawling!

Erin said...

Hey, i use a site called fotki. It is only 20 bucks a year I think for unlimited storage! I have all my pictures on there! You should look into it, it is amazing!!

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

Sorry to hear about the computer.......no fun at all! Definitely a reminder to catch up on backing up my pics!.............Was just thinking about that this morning, actually.
Hope they can recover them!

Kelli W said...

Oh NO!! I hope you get all your pics back and the computer working soon!! I completely know what you mean about "mobile" children. Eli has offically mastered crawling, and we had to get the baby gates out of the attic!!

heidi said...

Computer crashes bite.

Ahhh! He's crawling?!?! Forget it. B started crawling and now he is into EVERYTHING. I don't get 5 minutes to sit down while the child is awake. This morning I pulle dhim out of countless cupboards and out from under everything he could figure out how to crawl under but not back out of - while he's screaming like someone cut off an appendage.

The opening the door thing would freak me out!