Sunday, September 27, 2009

No one's forcing you to read my blog.

Alternately titled "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all."

Do y'all remember that phrase? Apparently some people's mothers dropped the ball and forgot to mention it to their children.

In the past several weeks, I've gotten several comments (anonymous, of course) that have not followed this mantra.

Now, I have actually deleted them because it ticks me off that I can't respond to the author herself. However, I'm going to post them here and respond to them.

Comment #1

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "a helpful letter to the management at Victoria's S...":

Ok....First of all I work in retail as well. So, just because they didn't kiss your ass doesn't mean they weren't nice or had poor customer quality skills. I don't think you have ever worked for retail, because if you have, then think of it in their perspective. They stand there for up to 8 or more hours a day, trying to re-stock their items and help people when they can. They are on a radio 24/7, and their job requires that if they have a day off and they need a shift covered and they call you, you have to go in. It's an "on call" job. (No I dont work for VS). On the other hand, customers are idiots. They just are. And heaven for bid someone didn't say hello to you, I bet you just exaggerated this whole thing because you were upset. And your kids? Well theres something called a babysiter, your husband, or simply go when you have free time. Shopping with children isn't a good idea anyway. So instead of giving them adivce, give yourself some. Stop being those bitchy customers that complain and deal with it. Not everyone is perfect and just because they don't say hello doesn't mean they don't have good customer service. You need to get a life. Posting blogs about this is really lame, and your a mother you should feel dumb. The only reason why I replied is because I'm constucting a report on them for a business class and stumbled upon this ridiculous site. And one more thing, if you know so much then why don't you go change how they are? Oh wait, you cant. :)

And here's the response I would have sent:
First of all, here’s a little tip for you; proofreading is a good idea. Perhaps you should also look into purchasing a grammar book.

Second of all, I hope you fail your project. And, if it’s full of grammatical errors like your comment was, you probably will.

Thirdly, you’re a customer too, of some place. So, are you including yourself in that idiot comment?

Lastly, someone at Victoria’s Secret’s corporate office saw this and did not think it was lame. In fact, they contacted me and sent me a very generous gift card. Since I’m sure you’ll think I’m lying, here’s a photo for you.


Comment #2:


Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "a helpful letter to the management at Victoria's S...":

maybe you shouldnt have hauled around toddlers into vs. theres nothing more annoying than screaming children while your trying to relax and shop. plus you cant expect them to just revolve the entire store around you--there may be handicapped ppl who deserve those rooms. and plus who the hell goes shopping for bras with children? what kind of a freak are you?


And here's what I would have responded with:

If you want to shop and relax at the same time, perhaps you should open an adults only store. In case you aren’t aware, children are people too and have the same rights as you do.

2. I never said my children were screaming. When my children behave poorly in public, I leave. My children were behaving like any other active, happy children.

3. Most people with children go shopping for many items of clothing with their children. Next time you’re in a shopping area try opening your eyes and looking around.

4. I never expected the store to revolve around me. I simply expect to be treated like any other customer who's business is valued.

5. Since you seem to know little if anything about children, I’m assuming you have none. It’s probably because you’re too big a b#(%& to find someone who will marry you. Try being nicer.


And here's comment #3 (who I'm pretty sure is the same person who left comment #2)


Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "you don't know what you got until it's gone":

That African tribal women comment was extremely racist and ignorant of you to mention. Oh, and your boobs don't even look like anything special so I wouldn't lament on the past.


And my response:

Ok, first of all, I think you might be ignorant. Ignorant is defined as being uninformed or unaware. I am informed and aware. Since you are apparently unaware of the meaning of the word ignorant, I can only conclude that you are the ignorant one.

Racist? Not so much. I’m not talking about the color of one’s skin. I’m talking about anyone who walks around without a bra on. What if he had said feminist hippies in the 60s and 70s who burned their bras instead of wearing them? It's a simple fact; if you never wear a bra, you're going to sag regardless of the color of your skin.

Believe me, even now my boobs are better than anything you have.


Ok, so there you go. I had my chance to respond. I've also decided to disabled anonymous comments on my blog. I enjoy getting comments, even comments that I disagree with, but I also like to have the opportunity to respond.


Bottom line, if you're going to leave a nasty comment, fine, but man up and own it!

29 comments:

lsnellings said...

Oh man! Does this mean I am going to have to stop leaving all of those bitchy anonymous comments? Rats!

woman who roars said...

Go Emily!!!
Some pple have too much time on their hands and enjoy spreading their idiocy around.
Yuck!

Foursons said...

OK, I had to go back and read your VS post. You seriously need to link that up with my blog this Friday. It's fantastic!

And they sent you a gift card?! Really?! I am SO JEALOUS! How'd they find your blog and this particular post and read about your unhappiness? I am totally gonna have to blog about a store now.

And the nasty comments...losers. Really. Why in the world did they read that post in all of blogland and choose to be nasty to you? Interesting, very interesting.

Brandi said...

For the love... that is EXACTLY why I do not allow annon comments on my blog. Good for you!

I take my kids bra shopping with me all the time and I'm not a freak. I mean, seriously, they could care less to watch me try on bras. They are too busy playing in the dressing room.

Shannon said...

Haha! Love your comments back.

Kelli W said...

Ok, even though those annon. comments were a pain in the behind...they sure made for a SUPER hilarious post! I love your response to the third one, and maybe annon. will grow up and start leaving some comments with their name now!!

Bren said...

Not sure how I missed the first VS post but a. good for you for writing it in the first place and b. your responses to "anon" comments is great! If people can't attach their own name to comments then they shouldn't leave them in the first place. Grow some already!

Theta Mom said...

Oh man, that's just so lame. So, so lame.

Jen said...

Preach it sister. Preach it!

He & Me + 3 said...

Good for you for responding to their lame comments & putting them in their anonymous place. I can't believe that. AMAZING.

Erin said...

GO EMILY . . OK I had to laugh.. some people are rude and have so many things to say but are scared to show there faces. GROW UP AND PUT YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON AND SHOW US WHO YOU REALLY ARE.. thats what I would say to them . . I like your responses much better though :)

Keep it real cause we love it!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands.

Hey..maybe they can babysit or go bra shopping for you with all their spare time?

Pam said...

I have written a couple of blogs on customer service myself. I understand. I have worked the better part of my life (I am 49) as some sort of customer service and I would be ashamed if I had ever behaved in such a way that I have seen not only the younger generation but also the older generation working as customer service reps in several areas from AT&T to fast food. Not sure what the world is coming to..
Pam

Marty said...

Go sister...

Love that VS gave you a gift card. Do retailers now have people that search blogs? It would be some very well spent salaries!!

BTW, happy birthday Charlie.

heidi said...

People who think you can/should leave your kids at home while shopping can eat a big fat turd. Most of us don't have the luxury or, yk, we would leave them home 1/2 the time.

People are morons.

Jessica said...

I am so glad you got to respond to those anons! I totally agree, if you are going to say something like that at least man up to it & leave your name instead of staying anonymous. Geez!

Brandi said...

You go girl! I can't get over the nerve of some people. I totally agree with the phrase if you don't have anything nice to say...

Ehrenfelds said...

Well spoken!

And I totally agree they should man up and own it!

Kelli said...

That is crazy! I have no words...but I'm glad you did.

Emily said...

As someone who has worked in retail, both at the store and the corporate level, I can say that anyone who thinks that "customers are idiots" has no business working in retail. If any manager a ever had at any level heard me say that, I'd be shot. The customer is the boss and the customer service experience is your best/only way to differentiate yourself -- especially at a store like Victoria' Secret where it sure isn't the every day low prices. Matter of fact, that comment illustrates the attitude of a person who will find it extremely difficult to succeed in any industry. I suggest you find some sort of unionized industry to work in, because that's the only way a person like yourself will keep a job.

The one who calls you a freak obviously has no kids and is grasping at straws. But trust me whoever you are, Emily doesn't take our kids lingerie shopping - it's no different from me picking up a pack of Hanes.

And the racist comment is straight out of left field. The operative word was "tribal" as in "of a primitive lifestyle" -- not "African". Geeze - pick up a National Geographic sometime.

-Alex Powell

Lisa said...

(see my big finger wagging) If you were at the Vicki's I think you were at then I am sure everything you said was absolutely true. So there.

Carrie said...

Whew! Thanks for getting that off your chest...pun intended...heehee!
I'm glad you shared those comments too...they're pretty ridiculous and I'm glad you pointed that out for EVERYONE to see! It's obvious why they remain anonymous, they probably don't have big boobs! :)

Summer said...

LOL! You tell 'em girl!

Twisted Cinderella said...

I will never understand people who take the time to be so rude and then don't even own up to it!

lsnellings said...

Alex's comment is my favorite!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh... I totally wanted to write a whole post right in your comments section - but I think you said it all.

We just got our first hate mail on our blog (not anonymous, surprisingly), so I was struggling with how to address it.

But customer service? Important.
And someone defending a situation they weren't present at? Dumb.

Sara said...

As a Momma to three little ones, I can totally feel ya on this one.

First off, the comments were downright rude. I mean, as you said.. If I don't like what someone wrote I don't write horrible things as they did.

Sorry about your VS experience. It's aggravating to me when I experience service like this while I'm out.

Kudos to you for your responses!

Hit 40 said...

I am scared to leave a comment!! I have never had smack like this on my comments. Ridiculous. I don't want them to come over to my site to leave trash too!!

If you want to leave trash... do drop me an email. I know a bitchy bitchy blogger who does deserve your evil thoughts.

SouthernDogwoods said...

AMEN sister! I once had a little anon loser leave me a comment (secretly I know who it was) but anywho - well said! And this Emily is why I totally love your blog and reading it! You ROCK!!!!