Tuesday, September 8, 2009

True Story Tuesday and how to fool your husband



My husband was thrilled when we bought a house with a finished basement and immediately dubbed it the Man-Cave.

Over our past 2+ years in this house the Man-Cave has slowly morphed into the Dog-Cave/Man-Hole.

Alex didn't want a place to burp and scratch in peace relaxing, testosterone filled room as much as he wanted a place to dump all his junk and keep his dog. Anyone who knows me in real life, knows that's just not gonna fly. Over the past two years the Man-Cave has simply become unlivable. It's just a mess and more of a junk room than a Man-Cave. It reeks of dog and, in the past few months, the dog has succeeded in destroying the carpet in his quest for a perfect bed.

Here is the carpet in the back corner of the Man-Cave.

We have been talking about making some changes to the Man-Cave and have finally started this weekend.

The two main changes we are immediately making is new paint and a new floor.

We recently had our family room painted a light pale yellow color (Lantern from Sherwin Williams to be precise). I told Alex that I wanted the basement painted the same color. I like rooms to flow well and it's a cheery, light color which will certainly lighten up a dark a basement.

His immediate response to this was, "Yellow is not a manly color and certainly not appropriate in a Man Room."

I told him to think of a few manly colors he would like and he said he would get back to me.

I spent the next day thinking about how I could trick my husband lovingly convince my husband that my way was better.

*lightbulb*

I took the swatch of color and a pair of scissors and cut the color name off the top.

Later that night, as we are sitting in the family room chatting, I casually say, "I think I found the perfect, manly color for the Man-Cave."

Alex looks at me with a skeptical expression.

I hand him the swatch.

His skeptical expression does not change.

"That color is called Beer Foam," I say.

"Now that's more like it!" Alex responded.

And that, my friends, is how true compromise works.

32 comments:

Theta Mom said...

Now that's negotiation at its best! You go girl!

Kmama said...

That is hilarious!! I literally laughed out loud and my husband looked at me like I have two heads. Great story!!

Bren said...

You are a genius! Beer Foam - hmmmm where can I put that man color in my home? Good work sister!

Morgan said...

Hahaha! That is awesome. I'm going to have to use this one on my DH one day. I hope you enjoy your yellow basement :)

Tina said...

Oh, that is hilarious. It so sounds like something my husband would fall for!

Carrie said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see how it looks! Great compromising :) Wish that worked with picking stinky socks off the floor!

Pam D said...

HA! Genius.. what a brilliant move! If you aren't in marketing, you should be. "Beer Foam"... goes well with "Hot Wings Red" and "Sirloin Brown"! (hmmm... you could even spend time looking through the color names used for all of those old muscle cars.. I'm sure they would be appealing, too). I need to remember this tactic!

Angie said...

HA!HA!HA! You Rock!!

Brandi said...

HAHAHA! YOU are brilliant!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Tricky, tricky! Good stuff! Do you teach a class?!?!

Summer said...

Greatness!!!!!

Jennie said...

That.Is.Awesome! My but you are tricksy :) Well done!

Jessica said...

Oh why didn't I think of that?!? Haha My husband's Man Cave is still just plain ole white bc we couldn't come up with a color that we both liked. I may have to use your little trick! Very clever!

Also, thanks for your input on the names. We really like Emerson for a girl, but I totally thought I was being original with that name! I had never heard it before--I actually got it from the country band Emerson Drive...anyway, I guess it just hasn't hit in our neck of the woods yet! Oh & I also noticed that y'all were Auburn fans. I REALLY like would love to name the baby Auburn & call her Aubry if it's a girl, but my husband (a HUGE Miss State fan) says it's just wrong to name your child after another SEC team! Geez!

Hope you all had a great Labor Day!

Kelli W said...

Ohmygosh! You are too smart and SUPER funny!! So did he really believe you or did he figure it out?!?

Kelli said...

LOL...genious.

woman who roars said...

I love this story - Told it to ed who did not see the humor as quickly :-)

Alex Powell said...

Sierra,

That's because, Father Eddie knows that lying is WRONG!


This is not the way to convince me to buy expensive things like jewlery and SLR cameras.

-Alex

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I wondered when Alex would find out the truth....maybe you should have waited for the camera!

Jen said...

you are so awesome!

Lyryn said...

In our next home, my husband is insisting that he has a man-cave. This is funny…

Foursons said...

Bahahahahaha! Are you kidding me? That is GREAT! I bow to you, my genius blogging friend. *bowing*

Meant to be a mom said...

I love it! Genius! That's like something right out of a tv show. So funny.

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely hilarious! It's not in what you say...it's how you say it! :)

Momisodes said...

You are a master in disguise!

Hit 40 said...

The man cave looks fabulous!! I bet your hubby has not complained about the torn rug. Men usually do not notice how beat up something is.

Tina said...

This is priceless!!
U R brilliant!!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh - you are so smart you're scary! That's too funny - had a major chuckle at your poor hubby's expense :)

He & Me + 3 said...

I think this has been said already...but you are a genius.
Great job!

Erin said...

Beer Foam.. ha ha I am laughing out loud. You are funny! Does he know the truth yet?! Can't wait to see the finishing touches!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

That is awesome!! I am going to remember that one!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

Ok, now that truly is brilliant! Love it.........

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

Ok, now that truly is brilliant! Love it.........