Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ask Me Anything: Part 3 All about me!

Welcome to the final part of Ask Me Anything!

The section is all about me. Because it really is all about me. Right? Right!?

Kelly and Missy asked if my husband and I attended Auburn and Liz wonders about my career aspirations.

Alex and I are both Auburn Alum. We graduated in 2001. I have a degree in Philosophy and Political Science.

When I was growing up, I knew I mostly wanted a family. That was always my first priority. I never had one consistent career goal (outside of motherhood). In college, I became interested in counseling and really felt called to do that in recent years. I'm planning on going back to school for a masters in professional counseling in the near future.


Jenny Mac wonders if I cry when Auburn loses.

No, but my husband does. And mopes for days afterward. It's been a depressing fall for him. He also will analyze every single second of each game. That's kind of depressing for me.

She also asks what's my favorite book.

I am a huge reader. When I was younger, I was frequently found with a book in my hand and that is often still true today. I just finished The Glass Castle and am currently reading Unaccustomed Earth.

It's really hard to pick a favorite. There are just so many wonderful books out there. I try to keep a good list going. Evey year, when Time Magazine and Newsweek publish their lists of top 100 fiction and non-fiction, I choose ten from each category to read. I also try to read several of the current Pulitzer Prize winners each year. (Yes, I am aware that I'm totally type A and a big dork.)

A few of my must-reads are: A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Twilight Series (Ok, fine. Anything vampire.), The Chronicles of Narnia (actually anything by CS Lewis), When A Crocodile Eats the Sun; A Memoir of Africa, Harry Potter, Band of Angels, Experiencing God, and Boundaries.

The book I have always considered my favorite when I'm forced to pick a favorite is Our Town by Thornton Wilder. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It's very short but incredibly insightful.

And since we're talking about books I like I'm also going to mention a few I didn't like. The Shack: Bottom line, it's hard to respect a book based on the Christian religion that makes no mention of the Bible. Eat Pray Love: Bottom line, the author had a hard time purely because of the choices she made. Bad decisions = bad outcomes. And it was incredibly boring. Incredibly.

My children are book lovers as well which thrills me. I cannot wait until Melody is a little older and we can read The Little House books together!


Julie wants to know my favorite guilty pleasure.

Hm, I'm not really sure I want to admit this. Ok, I just I might as well just out myself. I have to have dessert every night. I try (really hard!) not to, but I have no self control in this area of my life. I'm pretty sure this love of dessert is a trait I inherited from my dad.

Krystyn wants to know my favorite Edward dream.

Well, I think there are really too many to choose from and I'm pretty sure they are all too inappropriate to describe on my blog!

Angie wants to know what my favorite food is, where I like to go out to eat, and what's my favorite wine.

I'm not really sure I have one single favorite food. If I did, it would have to be chocolate. Or ice cream. Or cookie dough. I go through phases of what types of food I'm really into. Currently, I'm really loving sushi and anything with brie and/or cranberry. Pumpkin is one of my favorite fall flavors as well.

Atlanta is full of great restaurants. The Buckhead Diner used to be a favorite of mine and Alex's.
We love Asian foods with Genki and Oriental Express being among our favorites. When we've got the kids with us, we love to go to Blue Moon Pizza and Atkins Park. I'm pretty sure we eat out too often!

You know, I love wine, but I'm really not too picky. I'm more of a white than a red drinker but I enjoy both. Thanks to Lauren, I've recently gotten into Rieslings.


Sandy wants to know what's the worst fashion trend I've ever followed.

Well, since I grew up in the 90s, unfortunately there's more than one. Remember the big, colorful parrot earrings? Yep. I wore those every day of 6th grade. I was also big into neon at one point. That included sporting a neon orange bikini during my high school years. Be thankful I'm not posting a picture. And remember those high hair sprayed bangs? Ok, I didn't have those. However, that's only because I have the finest, limpest hair ever. However, I tried my best to get them up there. It usually fell flat after about an hour and I'm pretty sure my big bang attempts drastically increased my carbon footprint.

Rachel wants to know what my favorite recipe is.

Well, I'm currently loving Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. This is actually not my recipe, but very similar. I also love these. One (of many) great things about these cookies is that the dough freezes really well, so you can bake just a few cookies at a time as opposed to making a whole batch. (Have y'all figured out I have a sweet tooth, yet!?)

On a healthier note (yes, I do have a healthy side!) I love butternut squash soup in the fall and winter. It's chalk full of vitamins and very tasty. Next time I make it, I'll share the recipe here. I also love squash casserole. The vast majority of my favorite recipes have all come from my mom or Aunt Karen's kitchens. They are both wonderful cooks.


There you go! That's not everything about me, but I'm sure it's more than you wanted to know.

Thanks for all your great questions and I encourage y'all to try this on your blogs. It was pretty fun!

18 comments:

Kat said...

That was fun!
I'm super jealous that I've never had an Edward dream. Booo. I want an Edward dream! :)

Kmama said...

Oh, I love Riesling!! I just had a glass this weekend when Jdaddy and I went out for dinner. It was very sweet, probably the sweetest Riesling I've ever had. Mmmm. Yummy!!

Jennie said...

I grew up mostly in the 80's ... and nearly died a thousand deaths when (1) at the Cal v ASU game on Halloween, 2 little girls were DRESSED LIKE THE 80'S FOR THEIR COSTUMES, and (2) this past Sunday at church I saw a girl wearing a neon yellow/black plaid shirt that I know I owned in 1985.

It makes you feel old when your "old" styles come back around :) Sigh.

Erin said...

I can't believe New Moon is coming out in less then 2 weeks!! I am so excited. Going with my best friend to the midnight showing. My husband thinks I am insane but he did say he wanted to see it with me! Love learning more about you!

{Kimber} said...

i DID have the huge high horrible ozone layer destroying bangs! they were horrible!

and I have Edward dreams ALL the time...very X-rated too! sigh...
only 10 days til I see him on the big screen!!!!! :)

Brandi said...

My husband cries and mopes and is a complete grouch every time Bama loses... so we're having a very lovely football season and I hope it continues. :)

The squash recipes sound delish!

Summer said...

Ok...2 things:

1) I also rocked a neon orange bikini in high school.

2) I had a SUPER SPECTACULAR Tom Welling dream last night.. :)

(I hate alarm clocks...)

Meant to be a mom said...

Those recipes sound delicious.
Its fun to learn more about you.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Thank you for answering my questions. I like learning new things about you. Great Q&A.

Angie said...

Ok yes...share the squash soup recipe. I made some last year that was NASTY!!

Love the Q & A! So fun :))

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I'd love the soup recipe.

And I made the pumpkin cookies this weekend (did you use the recipe I sent you)? Yum!

And, Riesling is my fav.

Theta Mom said...

Riesling is one of my favorites!!! The best! I enjoyed this, I feel like I know you better. :)

He & Me + 3 said...

I did the nasty neon too...I cannot believe that my daughters are wanting to buy it. Ugh.
Those pumpkin chocolate chip cookies sound delish. My husband mopes all day when his team loses too.

Foursons said...

OK, I must have asked the guilty pleasure question for a reason. I will eat dessert after every single meal although I do fight the breakfast one on occasion.

lsnellings said...

Okay, I am totally offended that you did not address my question!!
*hair flip* *eye roll*

Gretchen said...

Very cool to learn more about you!

And, I have a great recipe for sweet potato souffle. I know it's not butternut squash, but i've actually used butternut squash in its place and it turned out pretty good! If you want the recipe, just email me and I'll send it to you.

Kelli said...

Great answers. I love your love for reading, I think that is such a great quality. One of my favorite places to eat is in Atlanta...Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro...best food EVER!

Rachel said...

Why am I suddenly hungry??? :)

Now I'm gonna have to go make me some monster cookies!

Loved learning more about you!