Monday, December 6, 2010

8 days and counting...

The official count down to Sasha has begun...8 days!!

After a few weeks of anxiety about what is about to happen, I finally feel relatively prepared (kind of).


We had long day of training on Saturday.  I wasn't actually looking forward to it, but we felt so encouraged afterwards.  There was a plethora of information.  There are so many cultural differences that I had never considered or knew about.  And aside from just general cultural difference, it's impossible to even begin to image what these children face in their orphanages.  Aside from basic necessities we completely take for granted, such as clothes that fit and seconds at the dinner table, ultimately their childhoods are completely stolen from them.  I can't even begin to think about how I need to pray for him.

While there were many heart-wrenching things to consider, there were uplifting topics as well.  Listening to the stories of families who really connected and bonded with their child.  There were stories of children who were stoic and timid when they arrived and by the time they left, they actually knew someone loved them unconditionally.


We also told Jack, Melody, and Charlie about Sasha's visit this weekend.  We started by talking about things we do to show God's love.  I showed them Sasha's photo and asked if they knew what an orphan was.  When I told them that Sasha would be visiting our family for 5 weeks, Jack's immediate response was, "I'm so excited!  Can I tell him about Jesus?"  I knew they would like this idea, but I have to admit I was a little concerned about their initial response. I am so happy that they immediately embraced the idea.

I plan to spend a good portion of this week preparing for his arrival.  I need to get him a couple of things to wear once he arrives.  Once he's here we'll go shopping to get him more clothing and other necessities.  I am also finished up the last of my Christmas shopping.  I pretty much having everything finished except for stocking stuffers.


So, that's where we are.  Counting down and eagerly anticipating.

12 comments:

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

That is a wonderful thing y'all are doing. I love how kids so selflessly embrace helping others. I look forward to reading updates on his visit.

Kelli said...

I just adore Jack's response. Sounds like you are getting prepared and will make a special place for Sasha when he arrives. What a blessing!

Kmama said...

I'm so excited for you guys. I'm sure this will be such an awesome experience.

And I'm quite jealous that you're done shopping.

Liz Mays said...

I never realized how much preparation would need to go into this, but it does make sense! 8 days...holy cow!

Daily Tales of Sugar and Spice said...

so excited for you guys. this is such a lesson of giving of your time/resources/love that your children will be able to see and feel firsthand. can't wait to meet him!

He & Me + 3 said...

I have been so out of the loop lately. I think this is so awesome and such it will be such a blessing for everyone. Praying.

Emmy said...

That is so awesome you are doing that. Hope it is a wonderful experience for all

HeatherOz said...

This is going to be such an amazing experience for all of you! and even for us getting to hear about your experiences. Praying for all of you!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a great experience it will be for all of you! I know you all are very excited.

heidi said...

This is so amazing, Emily!

Holly said...

Wow! So I had some catching up to do on your posts. This is a wonderful thing you are doing, and I hope you are able to give Sasha a special home for Christmas that he will always remember.

SouthernDogwoods said...

I can not wait to hear more about Sasha and see pictures of you all finally meeting him. What a wonderful way to spend Christmas!