Tuesday, October 13, 2009

True Story Tuesday and then there were nine

Some of you may not know that I have two younger brothers.

Andrew is the youngest. He's the dude on the right and is currently a senior at Georgia Southern studying geology and Spanish.

Ben, on the left, graduated from Wake Forest Law in 2008, and currently lives in Denver, Colorado.

They both unanimously agree that I am the world's coolest sister.

2006, on the road to Assisi in Perugia, Italy


While I have many, many funny true stories about both brothers, at Lauren's request, I'm blogging about Ben today.

Ben and I in November 2006 after he ran the Richmond Marathon.


As I'm sure you have gathered from the pictures, my brothers are cool, hip dudes. They like to go out and party. Especially Ben. In college and law school, he did his fair share and we all know that when you party you run the risk of immature, intoxicated people harming you.

A few years ago, at a party, someone stepped on Ben's toe. Have you ever had your toe stepped on? I have not, but I did see my brother's after it happened and it was gross. His toenail was all back. Disgusting. Anyway, later on he told me that his toenail fell off!

About a year or so later, I noticed that his toenail was black again. Yeah, I know, we talk about feet at lot. It's because neither of my brothers wear shoes unless it's necessary and they are always putting their feet in my line of sight or worse, on me. When I asked what was going on with his grody toe he said that someone stepped on it again. Seriously, what are the chances?! And bye-bye Mr. Toenail.

Mr. Toenail grew back mostly intact, but not the same. Each time it grew back, it grew back smaller and apparently had other issues that irritated Ben. Fast forward to this summer and Ben, who is an avid skier, (which is why he moved out to Colorado; it's not because he was trying to get away from the rest of the family!) trying on a ski boot. Apparently the toenail hurt so bad that he couldn't even stand to wear the boot. This prompted Ben into some serious action. He contacted an orthopedic surgeon (Why not a podiatrist? I have no idea.) who looked at his toe and said that scar tissue under the nail was causing the pain. So, last week, Ben went under the knife and endured toe surgery! Don't worry, he's recovering nicely and it looks at though this ski season won't be a total wash as he should be back out on the slopes within a month or so.

However, the surgeon had to remove his toenail in order to remove the scar tissue! Yes, I did feel kind of bad when he told me that and I laughed so hard that I almost cried.

Go check out some more true stories over at Rachel and Mr. Daddy's place.

23 comments:

Bren said...

Maybe when he goes out from now on - he needs to start propping his feet up on a table to avoid getting stepped on? Really - twice? Or better yet - steel toed boots just for parties!

Foursons said...

Yikes. I hope he's changed his viewpoint on wearing shoes!

Brandi said...

Brothers are the best, aren't they? Especially when we can laugh at their pain! :P

Kmama said...

Oooh, I'm cringing at the thought of the pain. But like you, I would totally laugh at the toe surgery part!

Jessica said...

Ouch! I can't imagine how bad that hurts! Eeek!

Carrie said...

Ick! That sounds horrible! I'm glad he got it all taken care of and hopefully no one will step on it again! I'm sure you have some great stories! What sweet siblings ;)

Mr. Daddy said...

what is it with the toe thing this week?
A guy from our work opened his front door to let his dog out and pulled it across his big toe and ripped half of the toe nail off. then went to work and a another guy stepped on it....
then it got infected and he had to go in and have the doc remove the rest of it...

I'm giving a big Virtual grimace here.... :o(

Kelli W said...

Toe injuries are no fun! I hurt my toe when I was pregnant with Grant and refused to go the doctor. It was not pretty when I finally did! I love that you used the word grody! How fun is that:)

Jennie said...

Never heard of anyone losing 3 toenails, much less the SAME ONE 3 times!! Oh my gosh! I had one fall off after I kicked Hubby's (totally in the way) wood cabinet speaker. Foot injuries totally suck.

Funny that the lack of skiing is what got him off his rear and to the doctor! Boys :)

Twisted Cinderella said...

Oh dear, your brothers poor toe!

He & Me + 3 said...

People are always stepping on my toes...you know the one that has the ingrown toe nail. Yea that really hurts. Poor guy that must have been the worst kindof pain.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Oh no! Poor thing! I hope he recovers quickly - I would hate for him to miss skiing. You sound like you have 2 cool brothers and it sounds like they have a cool sister! ;)

Lisa said...

From someone who has had both "big" toe nails removed, lemme tell ya, IT AIN'T NO FUN! If your brother behaves himself and doesn't stub his toes (like I did) he may get to ski this season. But warn him: If he stubs it or causes ANY extra damage, that adds about a month extra to the healing process! TRUST ME! LOL Still couldn't help but giggle......

Kelli said...

Poor guy. What are the chances that someone would step on the same toe twice. I'm glad he's OK and can still ski.

lsnellings said...

That story just never stops being funny! "grody toes!" I love it!

Pam said...

Yuck! Poor thing.
Pam

Angie said...

Some people just have feet issues! I am ALWAYS hurting my left foot. IT never fails I hurt it once every three months or so.

Your brothers are cute! Looks like a fun family :)

Meant to be a mom said...

Your poor brother. That sucks.
I sure hope he feels better soon. He really needs to be careful and wear some steel toed boots from now on. :)

I have two brothers also one younger and one older. Its fun being the only sister.

Rachel said...

oh Ouch Ouch OUCH! I was just gonna tell you that story about the guy from our work but Mr. Daddy beat me to it. Can you imagine??? A sliding glass door???!?! This guy is just injury prone.

Sorry for your bro. He needs some safety construction boots to wear. Or maybe miss a few showers so people with dangerous shoes wouldn't get so close to him ;)

Bethany said...

Youch!!! I'm glad he'll be okay, that sounds really painful!

Stacy said...

Oh those boys and their parties! I've had friends be accosted and punched in the face by random drunk people on the street around college bars. One was my girl cousin...who was hit by another random girl. What is with the idiots and drinking??

On a side note...I have a friend who had her toenail removed due to it being ingrown and very painful. You can't even tell if she didn't point it out since it gets a hard top on it and she can paint it. Wierd but it works!

Gretchen said...

Ick, I've heard of people getting their toenails removed before because of being ingrown.

Maybe he could get a Lee Press-On. THey make them for toenails now! True Story!!

Hit 40 said...

Very awesome that you get along with your brothers! NICE!!