Tuesday, January 19, 2010

True Story Tuesday and Do I Know You?



One of the best and worst things about a schedule C-section is knowing exactly when you'll have your baby.

While it's nice knowing and not having to wait around, I always experienced a lot of anxiety, especially in the hours preceding my delivery.

Getting the epidural was especially anxiety inducing. Would it hurt? What if I didn't get numb? My anxiety manifest itself in the form of crying. So, pretty much the whole time leading up to the delivery (Ok, and after too) I'm a basket case.

For those of you who experience childbirth the natural way, and are probably screaming in pain by the time your epidural is in place, I'll give you the scoop on how it works.

The anesthesiologist comes in, after I've signed my life away, and gives me the low-down. This is stuff along the lines of sit really still, this is what you'll feel, etc. Then s/he introduced me to the anesthesiologist nurse who basically acts as my personal assistant throughout the whole procedure.

Remember those gowns you have to wear? The ones that are pretty much designed so that all private areas are accessible at all times?

As I'm sitting there with my nine month pregnant self hanging out of this gown, the anesthesiologist instructs me to place my feet on Alex's knees while she inserts the epidural. The anesthesiologist nurse comes in at this point and introduces himself, as Ryan. I'm trying to be polite while I'm sniffling like an idiot holding back tears.

The epidural is in place and I'm waiting to get numbed enough for them to place the catheter in. (Yeah, fun times, I know.) Since my legs are going numb and I pretty much can't feel or move anything, I'm just having to lay there, my fashionable gown not covering anything, with Alex standing on one side of the bed and my personal assistant, Ryan, on the other.

It is at this point that Ryan says to Alex, "You look really familiar to me."

Alex responds with, "I was thinking the same thing? Did you wrestle for Vestavia? I think we wrestled together in high school."

"Yeah! That's it," says Ryan and a conversation ensues about their glory days of high school wrestling.

With me, lying on the bed between them, legs spread.

Let me tell you, that did A LOT to calm my nerves. Right.

All I have to say is that I've never pictured myself lying on a bed between two men. However, if I did, wrestling certainly would not be the topic of conversation and I would not be nine months pregnant.

Thankfully that's one experience I won't have to relive again!

28 comments:

Kelli said...

That is CRAZY! No, probably not the best way to calm your nerves. My anesthesiologist (when I had my C with Caleb) said "oh this isn't going to work" and I about freaked out...then he said "oh I wasn't talking to you." I wanted to smack him.

Kmama said...

OMG, that is hilarious!!

I can't believe they knew each other. LOL

SouthernDogwoods said...

How funny & uncomfortable!
Small world - not sure what years your husband wrestled but P.J. wrestled for Bottenfield Jr High & Minor. He graduated in '95 so they may know each other.
Luckily, this is via blog not during your epidurial! ; )
PS - to answer your question - sorry for the delay on getting back to you - I went to Jeff State.
Have a great Tuesday!

Foursons said...

Can you say awkward? And a male nurse would make me sooo self conscious.

Jennie said...

I am convinced that husbands don't really 'get' what their jobs are during labor/delivery ... I had our girl 7 weeks early, and was in the hospital a week before the docs conceded that they couldn't hold off labor any longer. My husband tried to give me a phone call from work while I was IN LABOR! And when I shook my head 'no' (speech was beyond me at the moment), he told them SHE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK. Not "she's in the worst pain of her life and isn't able to form words" but SHE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK. They had no idea we were having our baby that night.

Mr. Daddy said...

It's a good thing that guy's are from Mars and gals are from Venus...

cause I'm thinking that if most guy's were born girls, it would be the death of our species...

No way, No how, would a guy get close to me if I had to go through that...LOL

Summer said...

LOL! OH MY girl...you had me laughing with that one! That's pretty ironic!

Angie said...

Dang that would totally happen to me. Gary knows someone everywhere we go. I'm thankful the one place he didn't know someone was the hospital. Arghhh I would have died.

And the comment about being inbetween two men in bed...hysterical.

Emmy said...

Now that is pretty funny! I have scheduled c-sections too and was definitely worried about the epidural, but it really wasn't too bad. I think the guy that did mine was just really good luckily... and he and my husband didn't know each other ;)

{Kimber} said...

those hospital gowns suck don't they!!! I am sure you are gonna rock it though!!

Kelli W said...

Too funny! I think if that would have been Jason I probably would have reached over and punched him in the arm:) I loved having my c-sections scheduled...but I did get pretty nervous right before everything gets started! And the shakes aren't very fun either!

Brandi said...

I had a male nurse when I was in the hospital. At the very moment he walked in the room, I was thankful for the first time that I had full previa and could not be 'checked.'

I think I would totally DIE if something like that happened. I mean, what happens if y'all run into each other in town?! Um... awkward. LOL!

Kimberly@PrettyPinkMomma said...

OMG that's too funny! I would definitely be weirded out though by the whole thing. Not to mention I would be reminding them that SOMEONE is about have a baby and to save the reunion for later.

lsnellings said...

Only Alex!

Brandi said...

Ha! Small world! If it makes you feel any better, I spent a few days in CCU a few years ago and, on one of those days, was given a sponge bath by a girl I went to high school with. On the plus side, nothing embarrasses me anymore! ;)

Pam said...

LOL..to funny. Its like they don't get it. While in delivery room delivering my daughter 29 yrs ago, the doctor and a male nurse were talking about football!

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh my goodness...yes, I have a birth story like that...giving birth is such a humbling experience...my students father was my anesthesiologist and numbed me up...no big deal, until he came by to check on me while I was pushing...sweet!
Parent Teacher Conferences would never be the same. Ugh

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I can't imagine how awkward that must have been for you! I was terrified of even the thought of an epidural when I was pregnant with my son...the thought of that big needle... ::shudder::
But I caved while in labor, and did get one after all.

Meant to be a mom said...

Oh no, Hah, I bet that was so much fun. Good story!

Erin said...

What a great story! I can only imagine that is not how you would want to be if you where ever to be between two men laying on a bed lol!!! You always make me laugh!!

Lyryn said...

Wonderful! I have a scheduled c-section this time! I'm not looking forward to the spinal! Ha... But you made me laugh! Like always! ;)

Tina said...

That is TOO funny!! I know how stressful that situation is, not really the appropriate time to play catch up with hs sports buddies!! :)

Carrie said...

You paint such a funny image! I was cracking up...it sounds like a Friends or Seinfeld episode :) What a small world! Glad they could 'ease' your worries...or make them worse! :)

HeatherOz said...

I had similar embarrassments with both of my c-sections. With my boys, I fell on my way in to the hospital and ended up with a c-sec later that day. After I was numbed and laying naked on the table, and we were waiting for a 2nd doctor, everyone in the or was talking about and checking out my skinned knees! Good times!!

Rachel said...

Oh Lordy... I never got to that "you'll be in so much pain, you won't care who sees your privates" point... so having any guys in the delivery room was definitely not in my gameplan!

Small world!

(And my mother's surgeon talked about his golf game while delivering me - I must have been exceptionally boring, LOL)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That's some serious fun times right there!

Gayle said...

That reminds me of one of my C-sections (had two; don't remember which). It was me having the conversation with the anesthesiologist about which hockey team his kid was on and which mine was on. We carried on a whole conversation while they were prepping and cutting me. Turns out the next season our boys were on the same team!

Daily Tales of Sugar and Spice said...

outstanding! hilarious.