Tuesday, January 26, 2010

True Story Tuesday and boobies



Boobs, in the past, have been a popular topic of conversation around our house.
And, yes we do call them boobs or boobies. I have totally been the bad mom that does not teach her children correct terms for their anatomy. And keep your comments to yourself since, yes, it has come back to bite me in the butt. But that's a story for another post.

Jack was 3 and a half when I was pregnant with Charlie and fascinated with my growing belly and the boobs that would be feeding the cause of the growing belly.

Frequently we would have conversations about who has boobs, when they get boobs, and the purpose of boobs.

This freaked me out generated a need for privacy to be taught at our house. I banned Jack from the bathroom whenever anything personal was taking place and we had many discussions about why privacy is important.

However, while I didn't have to deal with Jack staring at me, or rather, my boobs, whenever I was getting dressed anymore, our discussions on privacy had little impact on curbing the boob obsession.

One day I was standing in the kitchen while Jack and Melody were running outside on the deck. It was spring and fairly warm outside so they were shirtless.

"Mom! Come quick!" shouted Jack.

I ran outside to see him pointing at sweet, little Melody, sitting down, plump with all those rolls one year olds still have. You know those rolls. Where their wrists look like they had little rubber bands around them and their legs, tummy, and chest are still rolly polly.

Do you see where I'm going with this?


"Look at Melody! I think she's getting her boobies!"


28 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Emily! That is SUCH a cute story. I can't even stand it : ) So funny. And she is ADORABLE!

Brandi said...

What a funny story and that picture of Melody is too cute.

Brandi said...

LOL! That is funny! Cute pic of Melody too. ;)

woman who roars said...

So funny! Harry suffers (actually, i guess its me who suffers) from the same fascination.

Kmama said...

LOL!! I think we managed to escape the whole obsession with Buddy. It's too early to tell with Buster. However, when Buster was born and I was in the hospital nursing him, Buddy was appalled. He yelled at Buster and said, "STOP EATING MAMA!" It was the funniest thing ever.

Kelli W said...

Too funny! And man, is she cute in that picture! I love a baby with rolls:)

Pam said...

Out of the mouths of babes! To funny. Love the pic.

Aunt Crazy said...

Cute story!!! I think I'll follow you up on my blog with a TST about boobies...LOL

Carrie said...

LOL! Kids are great! What a cute picture...they grow up so fast! Alex says now when Emily wears my makeup...that she looks ready to date Daddy! haha! I don't want to think about dating conversations already!

Jessica said...

SO funny! Cute picture too. I love her little tutu!

Leiah said...

Once again your little lovebugs prove that fat rolls are only cute on children...not 45 year old women. dang it.

Emmy said...

Lol! Yes, they are called boobs in our house too... and I am often worried at how freely my kids talk about them.
My 3-year-old daughter will stand and look at herself in the mirror and comment on how she has little boobs but mom has big boobs.

Angie said...

We totally call them boobs too...and Layla is always asking when she can wear a boobie holder...she is four for the love of pete!!!

Foursons said...

Awwww, I'm sure Melody is going to just LOVE that story when she gets older. Hahaha

SouthernDogwoods said...

Oh how precious! Sweet little Melody and Jack!

JennyMac said...

HAHAHA...She is a doll and the story is too funny. And you are right about the blog water..boobs galore today.

Meant to be a mom said...

LOL, Oh my gosh. I look forward to your Tuesday stories every week. You never EVER fail to bring a good laugh to my day.
So cute!

lsnellings said...

Look at her!!! Love the little boobies!

RaD said...

That's funny! This was my first time participating in true story Tuesday and I wrote about my daughter and I shopping in the bra department of Wal Mart. What's with little kids and their fascination with "boobies."

Rachel said...

What is it with BOYS and their attention to anatomy?!? I just knew this was going to be about one of your BOYS when I saw the title and laughed outloud!

For the record, I love that you said you are a bad mom and say "boobies" and it'll bite you in the BUTT (cuz the word "butt" was outlawed in our house growing up... "rear end"... whatever).

Seriously, have you ever heard a little kid say "breasts"? That would be just wrong...

(Are you kidding me??? Your word verification is NIPRING, LOL)

He & Me + 3 said...

That is too cute. I love this picture of Melody to...she is so rollie. Too funny that she is already getting her boobies. We call them boobies too.

Kelli said...

Classic! Caleb is a boob man.

HeatherOz said...

That is so funny! Melody is so adorable! I love her little tutu!

Mr. Daddy said...

Yeah. Boobs are ok.... Unless they are man boobs!!! Yuk!!!!

And Melody is adorable...

Grace said...

You made me laugh on this story. :)
Thanks for sharing this to us, Emily.

Heidi said...

We call them boobies too. He, he, thanks for the laugh! I love when kids figure something out and obsess over it. As long as he doesn't go around when he's in 5th grade telling girls in his class that they're getting their boobs I think he'll be fine! :)

kanishk said...

That is funny! Cute pic of Melody too

Work from home India

Kat said...

I use all the anatomically correct words in our house, but I still prefer the word boobs to breasts. Breasts is just too difficult for little kids to say with the "sts". Plus, boobs sounds funny. ;)

SUCH a cute story. So funny.
And doesn't she look adorable in her little tutu? :)