Sunday, October 18, 2009

friends, pumpkins, and better parenting

As we had a lot of fun stuff going on this weekend, I decided to do an update.

Parent conferences were taking place at Jack's school on Friday so he had the day off. (I know you're wondering...he got a stellar review and received all Es and Ss on his report card!) After my parent/teacher conference Friday morning we were happy to get to spend the afternoon with our friends the Snellings. Yes, we took our customary picture, however, all the ones I got were so bad that I couldn't even bring myself to post them. It was difficult to get a good shot of six excited children (ok, baby John was pretty chill) but I actually think I had some weird setting on my camera that made all my pictures turn out like crap badly.

On Friday night and Saturday morning I was fortunate to hear Dr. Tedd Tripp, author of Shepherding A Child's Heart speak. I had heard good things about this book and learned so much at the seminar. I wish I had read the book 5 years ago! There are two verses that are basically the foundation of Dr. Tripp's parenting philosophy; Proverbs 4:23 and Ephesians 6:1-3. His philosophy is that parents should focus on the reasons behind the child's behavior, not just the behavior. God has given us authority, as parents, over our children and it's our job to claim that authority and use it to teach our children to submit to God's authority. I have started reading the book and encourage you all to do so as well.

We went on our annual excursion to pick out the pefect pumpkin on Saturday as well. It was really cold. You might not be able to tell how cold it is since we are just wearing measly sweaters and light jackets. Obviously I was ill prepared for how cold it actually was and did not dress my children properly. I'm bummed too because I had gotten this really cute hat for Melody and it would have been the perfect day for her to wear it.

Charlie and I



quite a change from last year!
This year all he wanted to do was run away.


until we caught him



and forced him to take a picture against his will.

Then it was on to the important stuff. Seeing who was stronger, of course!
And let's not forget about finding the perfect pumpkin. Melody thought this was it. "It's so cuuute!" she proclaimed.
And of course we took a little time out to be silly


before we ran off again!

Hope y'all had a great weekend too!

22 comments:

Erin said...

Very Cute Pictures! I love all her little dress / cheer outfits! Love all the pumpkin patch posts we are seeing :)

Brandi said...

Awww, look at y'all in your Auburn gear. It looks like we had very similar weekends! Cute pics! ;)

Foursons said...

That is a huge change in baby Charlie! (I love his name by the way)

Great photos, looks like lots of fun!

Kmama said...

Ooh, look at little baby Charlie!! Too darn cute.

Looks like you guys had a great time. BTW, I love the pumpkin Melody picked out!

Marty said...

I have been reading Shepherding a Child's Heart now for awhile (just can't seem to finish it). I love the book. I wish I had known he was in town. Was he a good speaker? I know that by the time I finish the book...I will need to read it again as I will have forgotten what I originally read.

Cute pumpkin pictures!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Glad you got to spend some time with Lauren and the kiddos!

I've never heard of that speaker, but I'm interested.

Oh, and WTG Jack on the Es and Ss.

And, of course, the pumpkin pictures rock!

Gretchen said...

Those Pumpkin Patch pictures are so precious. I scrapbook and it seems like my BEST pages are always the ones from fall time at the pumpkin patch!

He & Me + 3 said...

I love your pumpkin patch pictures...they turned out great. My pumpkin pictures were a totally bust this year. That book Shepherding a child's heart sounds good. I will have to check into it.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Look at him go! How funny! Love the Scarecrows & dog photo! Too funny!
Ooo, and thanks for the info on the book. Putting on my goodreads to read list!

Brandi said...

So cute we are going to the pumpkin patch this weekend. I can't wait.

Jessica said...

Love the pumpkin patch pictures! Looks like y'all had fun!

Kelli said...

I am so excited to hear that you had a great time at the seminar. I really need to read that book again for a refresher. I love the pictures of the kids and the pumpkins and loved looking back at how much your little pumpkin has grown.

Angie said...

Thanks for recommending the book, I'm gonna get it! I rarely read, but will make time for parenting books.


I love the pic of the 5 of you...so fun. Your family is adorable!

Have a great week!

Kelli W said...

YAY! for a great report from Jack's teacher! And that pumpkin patch looks like a ton of fun! I am hoping we can make it to one this weekend...we still don't have a pumpkin!

Hit 40 said...

Your children are all young enough to get the advantage of the knowledge gained from the book. The advice sounds solid. Just try your best to keep a smile and give lots of hugs.

....balloon boys parents might need this book!!!

Honey Mommy said...

How fun! Those pictures are adorable!

We totally need to visit a pumpkin patch in the near future! My boys just love pumkins and are excited to carve one. I don't know if I am quite as excited to get my hands on some pumpkin guts- yuck!

lsnellings said...

I got a fairly decent pic of the kids. I will post it this week! We had so much with you! Libby already wants to know when we are going back to Jack's house!

Theta Mom said...

You guys are just too cute I can't stand it! Love it!!!

Holly said...

Fun pictures ... great to see how your baby has grown! Will check out the book.

Bethany said...

Your family is just adorable! The family picture is great,and I love Melody's perfect pumpkin!!

CC said...

Adorable, but he doesn't look to thrilled to be caught! ;)

heidi said...

I was gonna say that it looks like all Charlie wants to do is get down in that pic of you two, but that would be redundant after seeing the other pictures. LOL Looks like fun!