Thursday, February 21, 2013

I'm petrified!

Ok, I'm not petrified, but this wood is! 
 
Last week, we took a little mini vacay to Resort Mitchell (aka my parents' house where my mom watches the kids while I eat oreo cupcakes.  Yes, you should be jealous...she's the best!)

While we were there, we went to the Petrified Forest!  This is the only petrified forest in the eastern US.  (Yes, that is how my 4yo responds when I pull out the camera.  Can anyone say "class clown"?)

 
We had a lot of fun learning about petrified wood, how wood becomes petrified, and enjoyed several hands-on activities as well...
 
We tried to move really heavy petrified logs.  This log weights 1685 pounds.  In case you're wondering, no, they could not move it.
 
 
We looked in all kind of holes for small animals.  Some of use didn't seem to understand in order for animals to come out of their hiding places, you have to be quiet
 
 
We climbed on petrified logs and pretended they were surfboards.
 
 
We climbed on a log that looked like a frog.
 
 
And thought about jumping off before we realized how far down it was. (It actually was quite a bit higher than it looks...I am standing uphill looking down.)
 
 
And best of all, we got some great Grammy time!
 

2 comments:

Kmama said...

How fun!! Your kids are getting so big...especially Charlie!

lsnellings said...

I need a vacay to Resort Mitchell!