Monday, September 20, 2010

Rocky Mountain High

Last weekend Alex and I took a trip out to Denver to spend a weekend with Uncle Ben.

We had a blast. We loved getting to see where Ben lived and checking out all the sights in and around Denver. The highlight of our trip, however, was climbing
Mt Quandary, one of Colorado's 14ers, on Saturday.

It was just exhilarating to be that high up. At least as exhilarating as possible when struggling to breathe.

Here were are starting the hike at 6 a.m. And it's 28 degrees. Yes, I was totally freezing!



The first part of the trail looked like this. Nice and easy, right?


We enjoyed some beautiful views as well as a gorgeous sunrise.


The two peaks between the trees are Mt Torreys and Grey, also 14ers.



The nice gentle slope didn't last for long before we started to encounter some rocks along the trail. We are right near the top of the tree line here, at about 12,000 feet.


While the going was getting tougher the views were still spectacular.
Here we are at the ridge with the last 700 feet or so left to ascend to the peak.

At some points along the trail. We were literally using our hands to hike upwards; it was so steep.
Here is Ben pretending to almost fall. Yes, he is hilarious.

Taking a break to catch our breath and look down to see the progress we've made.

The view from the top was amazing. It was definitely worth the trek up there. We were freezing at the top though! It literally felt like the temperature dropped 20 degrees in the last 100 feet of the hike.

The view behind us is looking out towards Copper Mountain. Gorgeous, no?



Thanks, Ben, for hanging out with us all weekend!! We had a blast and can't wait for our next trip out west.

18 comments:

Kmama said...

Looks like fun! I'd love to take a trip out there!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Beautiful! And it sounds fun!

Kelli said...

Looks like a really fun time. You are great to have hike all of that. Beautiful pictures.

Rachel said...

Just amazing! I'm so glad you had a good time in the Rockies too! I'm sure it would have been fun to do Meeker with you! :)

Gretchen said...

Those photos are gorgeous but they make me a little bit nervous looking at them... even though I'm safe here in my office chair... I'm not going to fall, right?

Foursons said...

Wow, I can't get over the temps. I think I would like hiking, but I don't really know since I've never done it.

Foursons said...

Oh, and the pictures you got are GORGEOUS!

Laura Farrell said...

Wow- way to go!! And beautiful views...totally worth the hike!

Emmy said...

Beautiful! And sounds like fun, except the whole cold part.

HeatherOz said...

Oh yeah! Looks like fun! I am having a hard time breathing, though, seeing the steep trail!

Angie said...

Wow, you got some amazing pics...and I am really jealous that you got to wear a jacket. I want jacket weather!!

Kelli W said...

Beautiful! And I'm kind of jealous of those cold temps...the 90's are killing me right now! It should be cooling off for fall now!!

Leslie said...

What an adventure! Looks amazing!!!

{Kimber} said...

how beautiful!!!!! I am SOOOOO ready for fall!

Kat said...

Wow! That is so cool! I would love to do that sometime. Beautiful views! :)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Wow! Amazing pix!

Holly said...

Ahhh, so jealous! Did you see any pikas in those rocks? Sure wish we could have some of that cooler weather here....

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a great time! And, such beautiful scenery.